Treating rubber tires

I am in my early-70s and I have yet to see a "pretty" tire. Do you also seek out pretty fan belts? Door seals?? Windshield wiper blades??? Inquiring minds want to know.
Here in Argentina, "tires" is translated as "gomas" and its main slang meaning is "boobs".
Under that premise, yes, I have seen many pretty "tires"
pasted image 0.png

Thanks for all the wonderful product tips.

Date code is not really important as aging totally depends on how they are stored. A tire with 3 years left, may have turned bad more than a well kept 20 yo one.

I will definitely try the driving in reverse mod. Right tires gets worn sooner because of roundabouts.

Nope, I know this is not true both from experience and theory. I have gone through plenty of old tires. And from my education I know that the additives are volatile.
Means you know that Im right. Date code indicates manufacture which has relevance.
Condition indicates roadworthyness. I've had tons of old tires too.
Not now. I just have a spare set and I would like to prepare them for storage.
Cheers!

There is a date code on all casings. Legally on all non commercial vehicles the tires MUST be replaced not repaired
within a 6 year period. There are NO exceptions and there is no such thing as NOS.

DOT and commercials casing have no limit on life but they must pass an visual inspection first then a belt scan.
I only used Good Years rating for any and all tires casing in the event of recaps. They were rated via a Triangle
Circle or Square (?) and no more than 5 years on a casing for recapping, but it can be ran out as long as it passes
a visual.

They outlawed recaps on any passenger car a long time ago. 70s maybe.
Here we still vulcanise old tires. They are as good as new ones if done correctly. Never heard of anyone loosing caps f om our local vulcanizer. I've seen quite a few caps next to highways here and abroad.
99% are from trucks that has double Axels.
Cheers!

Here they call them Re treads.
Because truck tires very expensive for fleets.
So easier to buy re tread. But you cannot
put them on front tires. Ask my old boss with
large Crane truck. Why I told him no Re treads
on front. long story short. He lost the Crane.
And the driver Quit. They fail often, so more suited
for axles with dual tires.

UV light is what rots tires quicker. And storing on
vehicle with weight. Will make flat spots. Storage
off the vehicle indoors will be fine. Can keep on cheap
rims with low air pressure so they dont loose shape/
get distortion from storage.

Reactions: 1 user