Treating rubber tires

There is a date code on all casings. Legally on all non commercial vehicles the tires MUST be replaced not repaired
within a 6 year period. There are NO exceptions and there is no such thing as NOS.

DOT and commercials casing have no limit on life but they must pass an visual inspection first then a belt scan.
I only used Good Years rating for any and all tires casing in the event of recaps. They were rated via a Triangle
Circle or Square (?) and no more than 5 years on a casing for recapping, but it can be ran out as long as it passes
a visual.

They outlawed recaps on any passenger car a long time ago. 70s maybe.

The fleet I was responsible for saved more money total than from any other tire program. The Good Years Euclid program.
Michelin probably had as good a casing but at a considerably higher price. G159 GY were recaped 3-4 times and moved
BACK from front steers to traction to trailer positions. Only NEW on steer axles.

It is a science, all right. We saved 22 million per year nation-wide and 1.5 million at my barn alone, because of it. I got my raises for that one all right.

Regards

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Yep, so make sure you get 'fresh' new tyres. I know someone who bought 'new' tyres that were four years old already, going by the date code.

Also, some say that by four years old the rubber compound is already fairly degraded so you've usually lost a noticeable amount of wet weather performance.

Of course, this doesn't matter for SUV's / 4WD's and similar barges as you couldn't tell anyway... :)

Another problem with old tires is small cracks develop and let water get to the steel belts
which corrode and can cause tread seperation.
When I was working and driving 50,000 miles a year I never had a tread seperation problem.
After I retired, driving 1500 Miles a year I consistently get tread seperations at a 3 to 5 year
interval. Living in Florida, USA does not help, with the heat,humidity and rain!
Although, my mother's car ( a 1991 olds Cutlas Calais 67,000 original miles) which I inherited in 2017
had tires bought in 2001. This car was garage kept and the tire treads only seperated
last year ( 5000 miles on the tires).

Last edited:
I have no idea what's available in Denmark, and neither of these are going to make cracks magically disappear, but for normal tire dressing, I like this:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/long-lasting-tire-dressing-16-ounces/
1704907102389.png

For longer lasting protection and more "rejuvenation," this is pretty good. You have to be careful when applying it, as it contains dyes.
https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Car-Care-Products-FB810/dp/B000EQVMZC
1704906983918.png

Reactions: 1 user
I recall reading somewhere that reversing the direction of travel after a long period of use is liable to cause the tyre to delaminate.

I generally swap front to rear annually and replace all after 3 years as I can tell the grip and ride comfort have degraded. At this point there is still tread, above the legal requirement, but as the tiny patch of rubber is all there is keeping you on the road I’d rather be safe than sorry.

In my locale I can use summer radials all year round as there are only a few days in the winter that get close to freezing.

I recall reading somewhere that reversing the direction of travel after a long period of use is liable to cause the tyre to delaminate.
That is a throwback to the old days. No longer a concern with newer tires. A directional tread is the only reason you don't wish to reverse the tire.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.50.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.50.16 AM.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 28
Kevin, your just looking at it with your city glasses on. If my buddy rolls up with a new set of these sneakers, there’s only one thing to say………them’s some purty tires right there I tells ya!
(Wonder how that google translates?!) :p

Attachments

• BCBC054A-17FC-489B-B079-24BFBFEFA9B4.jpeg
    BCBC054A-17FC-489B-B079-24BFBFEFA9B4.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 35