The Photography and Camera Thread

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Right! Apparently i forgot what f/1.6 looks like ...
Here is a 30 mm f/1.6 image shot with my old canon 60d, using a sigma f/1.4 lens:
20240217_173929.jpg

Pretty similar depth of field!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, I’m a sucker for big aperture lenses. I just ordered the 50mm F/1.1. 🥹

It’s probably a bit soft compared to the gen II 9 element version but I’m not quite ready to spend $100 on an Aliexpress lens yet.

Speaking of big aperture - 135mm F/2.0 is a monster of a lens I have had the pleasure to use on full frame film.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I like buttery bokeh. Here are a couple of shots from my full frame Nikon using a Nikkor 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 zoom lens. It's an older lens so it is not expensive at all.

Attachments

• Nikon75-300_f4.5-5.6_1.JPG
    Nikon75-300_f4.5-5.6_1.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Nikon75-300_f4.5-5.6_2.JPG
    Nikon75-300_f4.5-5.6_2.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 3 users
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The old lenses are great if you're on a budget. But for actual macro photography, especially if you want razor sharp pictures with a nice bokeh, an actual macro lens is worth having.

I shot these many years ago.

I'm pretty sure these were with the Contax 645 and 120 mm macro:

XmasCactus.jpg

Orchid.jpg

BlueFlowerMacro.jpg

Pretty sure this was with the 80 mm Planar on the Contax 645:
02-18-30.jpg

And getting back to electronics. This was most likely with a 35 mm Contax Aria and the 100 mm macro.

Modem.jpg

All shot on film (Fuji Velvia @ ISO 40 mostly but also some Provia 100).

I went from film to digital with a Canon 10D and some other Canon digital bodies. I never liked how Canon rendered a blue sky and found the system too heavy and bulky to haul up a mountain. The 70-200/2.8 IS is a fantastic piece of glass but it's hard to take pictures with it when you've left it in the car due to its weight.

These days I use a Fuji mirror-less. Most of my product photography is done either with the XF 16-55/2.8 or XF 60/2.8 macro. I'm considering getting a longer macro lens so I can cut down the field of view a bit.
The zoom lenses are so much better than they used to be. I don't see much of a reason to have a prime lens anymore, except for maybe a pancake lens like the ones shown earlier in this thread. The 45 mm pancake for the Contax was a fun little lens.

Tom

Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Photography meets audio. Here's a non-lens. Long exposure pinhole shot on 4"x5" sheet film. The exposure time was the length of one side of an album, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes, I think. Can't remember which album it was anymore.

The image was contact printed onto cyanotype emulsion coated watercolour art paper. Exposure was by ultraviolet light and developed with plain water.

Attachments

• PinholeCyanotype.jpg
    PinholeCyanotype.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 4 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Photography meets audio. Here's a non-lens. Long exposure pinhole shot on 4"x5" sheet film. The exposure time was the length of one side of an album, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes, I think. Can't remember which album it was anymore.

The image was contact printed onto cyanotype emulsion coated watercolour art paper. Exposure was by ultraviolet light and developed with plain water.
That’s fine art! Nice.