The Photography and Camera Thread

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The ones you are showing pics of Bonsai, are the more expensive CLA in that list.

Speaking as someone who has had both... If you get an early IIIx in already superb shape they are fun but you won't be lens swapping most likely. There are conversions but the range finder is not going to adjust for all of them. Fact of matter is that any range finder with swappable lenses is more expensive. You can find vintage Canon LTM mounts (M39) that are better if your only worry is quality. Any changes in lens focal length means a viewfinder mounted to it as well, and a separate light meter.

The Canon XRK has linked is fun. The Yashica Electro 35 GTN is nearly the same. Just be warned while fun these feel like absolute toys in quality compared to Leica, Nikon, etc. (I was not satisfied with mine) The market right now does not have cheap rangefinders sadly.

Comments about vintage lenses being low contrast are horse ****. The only problem with good ones is a lack of coatings means with color it can be off. When it comes to B&W many vintage lenses are good by any standards.

If you are not thinking about B&W you should be. You can literally go into a closest to get the film on a reel and process it with water, developer, and a thermometer. (I can make sure you get the right reels, otherwise it is semi hard). Then you just scan on a computer a nice scanner and film holder, viola!

I'll help you with anything Rangefinder, just ask.
Thank you. I’d only be doing B&W with it. I’m still not clear - is the IIIx a screw mount or M mount? I indeed won’t be doing lens swapping on it if I can help it - mainly portraits. I clearly need to do some research on this as well.

When I changed residence from Ireland to England in 1969 good secondhand Leicas (etc) could be bought for very little money in Ireland. I spent a time buying
many cameras and lenses...an example was a Leica M2 in a Benser bag along with a 35mm Elmarit lens, 50mm Summicron and a 90mm elmarit which cost me £200
Sterling!!! I also bought a similar M4 outfit but with a Summilux 50mm for £250. In total I came to England with 17 cameras and many lenses. They included Linhof 6x9, various late Rolleis
and even a couple of large format field cameras. [My then wife 'borrowed' the M4 outfit for a trip to see friends in Rhodesia. She managed to loose the whole outfit
on the return journey]

At that time I lived in Dorset and the local 'proper camera' shop was Leslie Miller in Poole - run by Peter Walnes - who managed to convert my 'collection' to cash at a
great profit!

Now use an old Nikon D300 and a Canon 600D along with a few lenses. Still prefer old large format with basic Dagor lenses!

Reactions: 1 user
Btw, there is a 50mm F/1.1 C-mount lens compatible with M4/3 for $91
For the money, why not just pick old manual focus SLR lenses? You'll get 1960s/1970s/1980s build quality and have a lot of enjoyment (well I do) fooling around with bokeh.

It's not difficult to find them at low prices. Primes, certainly, and zooms can be even more of a bargain. A good place to start for primes is Pentax Takumars, though collectors are long on to that, and you won't generally find them at rock bottom prices. One of the famous bokeh lenses is the Soviet-era Helios 44, which is definitely a fun lens to play with and still highly affordable. You'll get less of the swirl in Micro 4/3 because of the crop factor, but I'm not convinced I want too much of that anyway, and even in diminished form, the Helios can give very dramatic effects. Not always in a good way, but rarely in a boring way.

There are so many lenses and brands out there to experiment with. I think the most expensive vintage lens I've bought so far would have been around $80, and the cheapest around $4 or $5. Surprisingly, some of the best-condition lenses I have bought were the cheapest. There are some focal lengths and lens types that are either too numerous, or people just don't want them all that much.

This is a great channel for all things bokeh:

You'll find information on some interesting lenses there, with some thoroughly detailed comparisons and roundups, though you won't necessarily find them at the prices mentioned, especially as some of the videos are already several years old. Don't let that put you off, there are plenty of lenses to go round, and some of the recommendations are still affordable.

[Edit: For some reason, I thought this thread was recently started, not several months old].

Reactions: 3 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I got the 50mm F/1.1 in M43 mainly because it kept the camera compact. These Chinese lenses are actually very well made. Solid metal bodies, smooth focus rings, higher blade count irises than my Nikon 50mm F/1.2 and a lot more compact since image size is smaller. I tried my 50mm F/1.2 Nikon and F to M43 adapter. The setup was quite big and bulky. This is the reason I ordered a 25mm F/2 to get a 50mm equivalent all purpose walk around lens with slightly tighter field of view than my 20mm F/1.7. I lose autofocus, but I gain an aperture ring and all metal construction. Many of the modern lenses use some plastic in the lens bodies.

The Kamlan 50mm F/1.1 is very sharp. I was walking around DC and happened to be at the Lincoln Memorial when I saw this group of young people getting posed by their professional photographer for a group shot - I think they were heading off to prom after this. This is hand held ISO400 and 1/800th second. I was a good distance away (maybe 150 ft) on the steps of the memorial and the 100mm equivalent FOV is pretty tight. You can see that this $62 lens is tack sharp.

1715342169805.jpeg

This is the same spot where I used the GX1 and 50mm F/1.1 lens but taken with my phone to give perspective.
1715342579891.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My comment was bokeh-heavy because I dipped into this thread mid-commute, not reading it all, and saw one of the early responses ripping into the bokeh. Which in my view, is up to the taste of the photographer. It was a bit jarring seeing someone telling you it does not have beautiful bokeh and that "that bokeh is bad". There are no real rules for out of focus areas.

Reactions: 1 users