Circuit design for EMI immunity

I wouldn’t suggest placing the phone near your amp while connected to speakers either, although I know what you’re talking about from accidentally having done that once on one here. At the time I was attempting to use the phone as a hotspot in a basement.
Amps and speakers aren’t supposed to make those sounds.

Tiny Ferrite cores on output transistor pins can help too, haven’t tried on smaller transistors.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Tiny Ferrite cores on output transistor pins can help too, haven’t tried on smaller transistors.
Ferrite beads are very effective, and I have a bag full of. Their effect was evaluated with BJT CFP output stage, which is prone to severe oscillation with modern BJTs. Ferrite beads at emitters pins would squash oscillation but would also introduce nonlinearity, very well seen as a jagged rising slope of a square wave signal. I use ferrite beads at DC supply inputs of my DIY measurement gear.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ferrite beads are very effective, and I have a bag full of. Their effect was evaluated with BJT CFP output stage, which is prone to severe oscillation with modern BJTs. Ferrite beads at emitters pins would squash oscillation but would also introduce nonlinearity, very well seen as a jagged rising slope of a square wave signal. I use ferrite beads at DC supply inputs of my DIY measurement gear.
That jagged rising slope is not from nonlinear beads, it's an instability.
It makes sense, you squashed the oscillation with the beads but it isn't 100% stable on fast edges yet.
If you put on two beads the jaggies will most probably be gone, but they don't do any harm anyway if the square wave has spectra beyond the audio band.

Jan

Ferrites for this sort of use typically have effect between 10MHz and 500MHz or so, so nothing non-linear in the audio band at least. They have a partly resistive R.F. behaviour (i.e. are lossy at R.F.) making them good at reducing Q and stopping unwanted resonances.

Note there are many types of ferrite materials with different properties, not all suitable for EMI suppression, and DC current level affects properties too. Datasheets are your friend!