Whay are so many Massdrop TH-X00 phones showing up on Ebay?

I did an exploratory search for Fostex headphone on E-pay, and noticed that a bunch of Massdrop TH-X00 phones are showing up there. Are there any issues with those phones I need to know about. I'm looking for a good mid-tier set of phones, so the question is not an idle one. Another alternative might be Audio-Technica phones.

I just checked E-pay, and there's still a substantial number of the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 floating around there, maybe from folks who were expecting Nirvana and didn't find it. I'd like to hear from anyone who actually owns a pair of the Massdrp Fostex phones. Right now I own a pair of AKG K240 - smooth, but not particularly revealing. I also own a pair of the $200 Grado phones - nice, but a little edgy. I'm looking for phones that will cover my ears rather than sitting on top, as the Grados are not exactly the ultimate in comfort - the headband is stiff, and the cans sit on the ears.

I just checked E-pay, and there's still a substantial number of the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 floating around there, maybe from folks who were expecting Nirvana and didn't find it. I'd like to hear from anyone who actually owns a pair of the Massdrp Fostex phones. Right now I own a pair of AKG K240 - smooth, but not particularly revealing. I also own a pair of the $200 Grado phones - nice, but a little edgy. I'm looking for phones that will cover my ears rather than sitting on top, as the Grados are not exactly the ultimate in comfort - the headband is stiff, and the cans sit on the ears.
You can always try the go-to can HD6..

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
(Mass)Drop is a closed club and you have to wait for a "drop" to happen. They often only ship to the US. I don't know if that's the case for the headphones but that could be an explanation. Opportunistic buyers may have gobbled them up and are selling them at a profit to overseas buyers who couldn't otherwise buy and to those who missed out. That's been done before.

Tom

Massdrop do sell headphones overseas. They do great prices and sell in bulk.

With mass sales there's bound to be good volume used sales even with low proportion on sells. Especially with internet marketing with no audition and inexperienced users who dont know what they want or how to drive headphones and change stuff rapidly.

There can also be model specific issues.

Because a lot of "audiophiles" can't accept the fact that their headphones sound good unless they pay a lot for them. So even if these headphones sound great they will never feel like they are good enough because the regular name brand ones cost more. That is what it seems like to me anyways,