What is wrong with this HT room?

Hello,

Here is my HT room layout, I can’t seem to figure out how is bass not heard from my front speakers. in a different room my 12 inch bass drivers seem to be producing a lot of bass but in this layout I am unable to figure out what is the real issue? Here are few things:

1. The room is untreated and walls are made of cement blocks.

2. Speaker polarity is fine. Even if I play either of them individually, FR seem to have a little bass than FL.

Can anyone please help by pointing out what is the real issue in this room? and How can it be resolved?

Thank you
e399dd15-983f-4084-8de5-ff7fb89b7847.jpeg

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your valuable responses. I did try polarity reverse which did not make much difference. Also 15 inch Hsu sub is heard very well in the position I have placed as per diagram. Opening the door hasn't helped much and moving sitting position very close to screen does have bass from fronts.

Should I treat the wall behind me? Or tearing down the wall helps? It's a cement brick wall.

Also is there a scientific way of finding what's causing this issue?

One other thing. You mention running the system as a HT. I'm assuming this means home theatre. Is there an unknowing x-over at play given the "bass management" of a typical 7.1 setup? How are the electronics set up?

Have you tried running just the front Left and Right speakers to see how they sound? Can you force the processor into stereo mode? If so, have you tried moving them around to see if the bass response improves?

What make and model are the front speakers?

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I did run them separate even then the bass doesn't reach the point I have marked. I have a strong doubt on the rear corners if it's reflected to perfectly out of phase.
I have built my own speakers with Eminence Delta 12A , JBL Selenium 250x on 11x17 horn and Eminemce 2002 on 10x4 horn all on 3 way cross over. Even when I just run woofer alone I see this pattern which makes me think it's the room.

Reactions: 1 user
...which makes me think it's the room.
You are likely sitting in a null...
When one puts your room dimensions into the room sim within Room EQ Wizard (REW, which is shareware)...

room.jpg

you see this pattern of bass response when the listening position (LP) is about 11.25 feet from the front wall:

Current.JPG

If you move the listening position back about 1.5 feet (13.2 feet from front wall), this is what you get from the simulator:

LP moved back 2 feet.JPG

I think you'll get much better bass response either moving the LP either forward or aft by a couple of feet. Try it.

If you move the listening position toward the front wall a couple of feet, you will also need to move the surround left and right loudspeakers to be about the same distance as the LP from the front wall (or a little farther forward) to get better sense of envelopment (counterintuitive).

Empirically, I've found it better to be a bit closer to the front wall than the back wall if your room depth is deep enough (mine is 15.5 wide x 40' deep and I sit at 10-12 feet from the front wall). The sense of envelopment and image broadening is enhanced when you do this, especially for stereo reproduction. You also cut down on in-room reflections in favor of direct arrivals from the front left/right loudspeakers when you do this, which is a great portion of why it will sound more enveloping (including the wider angle of the front left-right to the LP).

Chris

Last edited:
Not what you're asking but the FR and FL speakers will have significantly different side wall reflections. All are generally best avoided but the FR positioning maximizes them. I would anticipate pulling both forward the length of that bottom left jut and moving the FR away from the wall symmetrical with the FL would do wonders for imaging, plus place the LP equidistant from the side walls.

When one puts your room dimensions into the room sim within Room EQ Wizard (REW, which is shareware)...

View attachment 1175539

you see this pattern of bass response when the listening position (LP) is about 11.25 feet from the front wall:

View attachment 1175540

If you move the listening position back about 1.5 feet (13.2 feet from front wall), this is what you get from the simulator:

View attachment 1175542

I think you'll get much better bass response either moving the LP either forward or aft by a couple of feet. Try it.

If you move the listening position toward the front wall a couple of feet, you will also need to move the surround left and right loudspeakers to be about the same distance as the LP from the front wall (or a little farther forward) to get better sense of envelopment (counterintuitive).

Empirically, I've found it better to be a bit closer to the front wall than the back wall if your room depth is deep enough (mine is 15.5 wide x 40' deep and I sit at 10-12 feet from the front wall). The sense of envelopment and image broadening is enhanced when you do this, especially for stereo reproduction. You also cut down on in-room reflections in favor of direct arrivals from the front left/right loudspeakers when you do this, which is a great portion of why it will sound more enveloping (including the wider angle of the front left-right to the LP).

Chris
I’ve never used REW, but do you have the speakers pointing in the right direction? It looks like the left and right are pointed towards the left wall.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would definitely pull the left and right speakers out of the corners, forward & inward, you may want to bring the center speaker forward by the same amount or apply delay (if using DSP) to the left and right speaker. Move them just a few cm at a time.

I have a small, low ceiling listening room and have had a lot of problems with LF nulls amongst other things. Room treatment will not address this particular issue, but may be worthwhile in consideration of other problems.

An inexpensive MiniDSP Umik-1 mic with REW and either USB or audio output from computer to audio system will allow you to do a lot of room measurements at modest cost.

I would move the sub to a different location in the room to adjust the location of the null by your listening position. Putting all your bass producers at the front of the room doesn’t appear to be working for your room. Sounds like your sub has a higher low end output than the fronts, which is why you get notice it and not your mains. Personally I would low pass the fronts and see if the sound improves.

If nothing else, all rooms have their own bass characteristics. In my room, it makes a difference in bass if I lean forward or back in my listening position. Then if I am about to exit the room, the bass increases dramatically. In terms of listening and after you have found the best positions for your speakers, it's location, location ,location.

Thank you so much Cask05, rdf, Arthur Jackson, kevinkr, wcwc and Ixnay for all your responses. It does make a lot of sense.. You all taught me quite a lot today. I am trying to implement them. I did add absorption in REW just to experiment. will get the room treated and also I got the UMIK-1. Will play around and find some data.

Thank you community for all your kind support 🙏

In a concrete room you definitely need room treatment! You might try something like these diffusers, not too expensive and easy to put together. the big drawback is they are heavy, but you could build them in place. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ot-sound-diffuser-panels-step-by-step.269366/

Then there are the standard rockwool or fiberglass filled absorbers. This won’t help much with the bass issue you have but it will reduce flutter and echo, and it will clean up the midrange and treble.

Also, carpets, drapes, pillows, and big hairy dogs can be added and taken away easily.