What are you Watching?

Interesting you brought that up, I just bought them tickets to Barbie about 1/2 hr ago, but not for that theatre, and my wife is rummaging around to find pink shirts for them to wear.
Opening weekend:
Barbie $160M & counting;
Oppenheimer $80M, and some broken 15/70 projectors. o_O. Apparently 600lbs and 11 miles of film on a single platter, along with a dearth of operators skilled at that level was perhaps a bridge too far.

Just caught it this afternoon at a local laser IMAX screen. Only spoiler alert is that you might want to wear some deci-damps. I swear the cinema owners don’t have an effen clue about dynamic range and power compression.
If I needed any reminder of why I pass in most “must see on the biggest screen”, today was it.

Thanks for the tip. Just bought myself a cheapie Tuesday 10pm single ticket for 70mm. I don't think I've been in a movie theatre until 1am since before my kids were born.

Started watching The Sixth Commandment. Raises the question of what's scarier, the typically hyperbolic serial killer in US productions, or the quiet type the Brits seem to like?

Back to the little screen. Just had a hoot with Netflix’s “Unstable”, and Apple TV+ “Hijack”. Getting stuck on the episode 6 cliffhanger reminded me of why I tend to wait for a mini-series season to complete before binging. Maybe I was a bit groggy by that time; my first thought was “Air Marshals come in all forms, but why did she take so long? Oh, this is getting very twisty”

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Silo is a great adaptation of the book. Foundation is a very modernized adaptation of the book, although the book was full of sexism and other biases of its time.

Station Eleven remains my favorite TV show of the past 10 years. I know it cannot appeal to a large audience, as it's rather poetic and emotion-laced.

I did very much enjoy Oppenheimer in 70mm. The film is quite good. The negative things critics have hit upon such as much of the movie is just a historical drama, albeit with accomplished actors you are unlikely to see all in one production, and the big effects scenes which try to portray Oppenheimer's visions fall short of portraying what he is thinking are valid. I wonder how notable this movie will be in the long term.

Now started watching S02 of Dark Winds and the new Justified series. My favourite is still ST SNW, it is as if the season has been laid out with each episode getting more interesting, can't wait to see how they can top last week's episode with the doctor's backstory.

For an escapist orgy of CGI and audio mixing*, I enjoyed the hell out of GOTG-3. Have Feige and Gunn yet squeezed all the juice from this citrus, as well as set a record for post credit scenes?
* first real adventure with my recently reconfigured Atmos-lite setup, and the wait and gyproc dust was well worth it.

Yeah, JRO was the titular head of the program, but a full telling of the story of the multi-disciplinary team of over 130,000 spread out over a number of locations, as well as the personal squabbles and political machinations involved would take dozens of hours to even scratch the surface of. For my money Nolan delivered a decent Reader’s Digest condensation, as well as some pretty decent cinematography.

Last edited:
I find myself wondering how much prep they’re given- “just be ready for this to get silly with no notice”
Not like with John Oliver or Jordan Klepper, where the subjects have gotta know going in that they’re gonna get creamed. I particularly love Jordan with the red-hat crowd - he’s very nimble indeed.

There are some truly binge-worthy series extant, even those which were unavailable for a while. Am revisiting “The Expanse”, currently on Prime+. For my money miles ahead of anything Disneyfied Lucasfilm has produced in the Star Wars universe - except maybe Andor?

Reactions: 1 user
Well, recently have finished Ahsoka and current season of Only Murders in the Building. Both OK, I thought the latter was quite interesting as it mixed a musical tightly with the plot, but I think the show should just stick to showcasing Martin Short's impeccable delivery.
Starting The Continental and current season of Loki, plus Yellowstone and The Sopranos which have recently started showing from the beginning on free TV.

Netflix “The Current War”. While few historical docudramas can survive the story tellers’ revisionist agenda, and this was a bit turgid, and this one’s getting to the screen has its own convoluted backstory, the version I watched did present a fairly interesting character contrast between TAE, George Westinghouse and the very quirky Nikolas Tesla.
Any recommendations to watch that capture the tragic complexity of his life story?

Hafta say the biggest surprise to me was Michael Shannon’s GW - no General Zod, he.