β22 salvage

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I received another bin of unfinished projects and I am trying to decide if I can salvage an almost complete β22 kit.

I do not understand the 3rd board for an "active ground" in the recommended set-up.
So, I would not want to use that.

I would most likely use 2 β22 boards for the amp and 1 σ22 board for the power supply.

The AMB website covers this option as follows:

2-channel passive ground.png

With this note:

"The wiring scheme for the 2-channel passive-ground configuration is shown in the illustration above. Of particular note is the ground-return wiring from the headphone jack. It should be connected directly to ground at the power supply (e.g., one of the σ22's "G" terminals). Do not connect the ground-return from the jack back to the β22 board. If the PSU is located in a separate chassis (as shown), then the ground return wire should be part of the inter-chassis umbilical cable."

I am a little confused because according to the schematic, signal ground and power ground are connected on the β22 board, so the ground return from the headphone jack is in fact connected to both signal and power ground. Why insist that headphone jack ground return be a direct line back to the power supply ground?

Can this be built in a more "normal" way without risking ground loops?

If you post the same thing about the two board configuration I'm sure AMB will chime in with answers. It's a perfectly valid configuration.

The reason for the ground channel is covered under the tech highlights:
3-channel "active ground" amplifier (3 β22 boards required)

This is the recommended configuration for standard 3-wire headphones, and offers improved performance by having an active ground channel amplifier for the headphone's shared "ground return" wire. The ground channel amplifier sources or sinks the return current from the transducers, which would otherwise have been dumped into signal ground or power supply ground. This shifts responsibility for the high current reactive load of the headphones from signal ground to the tightly regulated power supply rails, thus removing the primary source of signal ground contamination. The headphone transducer "sees" symmetrical output buffers with equal impedance and transfer characteristics on both sides, rather than an amplifier on one side and a capacitor bank of the power supply ground on the other.
In short, the ground channel reduces the impedance and other non-ideal characteristics of the ground by buffering it with the same high performance amplifier as the L and R channels.

I suspect the reason for a dedicated return wire is similar - it reduces the ground impedance and corresponding crosstalk.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I also your very methodical thread! Good job on taking it slow! I think it will pay off in the end.

I also recommend you look into some kind of gain switch, as with sensitive headphones, the noise floor can be quite high at 8X.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I only get about an hour at a time to work on mine, so taking it slow isn't 100% by choice. That gives me lots of time to obsess over trivial details during work while making tiny bits of progress in the evenings.

I'll mostly use it with higher impedance phones, but I'll keep an eye out. I want to be able to use it with speakers and I think I'll want higher gain for that... maybe. I also have an M^3 and I adjusted the gain down from 8x to closer to 5x on that one, mostly just to have more usuable volume knob range.

You had plenty of measurements for yours, but how does it sound?

Last edited: