Toroidal transformer wiring help please

Post#6 - "I built the Dim Lamp isolator based on this Youtube video and schematic. dim lamp build and schematic
In it, its shown that any toroidal transformer will do as long as it can supply 240v in and out ? or have i got that bit completely wrong ?
I don't want to damage any of the transformers by connecting it up wrongly inside the Dim Lamp box, which is why I came here to 100% make that happen."

from my post#6 , could someone please watch the video I linked, from 8 mins 32 secs in, where it mentions the "transformer for use in Bypass mode of the Dim Lamp Isolator", and tell me if any of these 2 x ILP transformers I have , will do the job, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm confused by no voltage on the pink wires. Aside from that, I do wonder if your transformer has two identical windings - twin pairs of 110V in and out.

So if you put two secondaries in series (say join blue to yellow on each pair) and apply 240V in to brown and grey, would you also get 240V at full power rating on the output? Ideally you would do an experiment like this with a dim bulb tester so you can have protection on power up. I think you should use the dim bulb as you have it before you go further.

The question remains of which way to wire so that the secondaries are in phase.

Lastly - I think you should read around on the isolation transformer - it is certainly not a cure for all evils, will provide some protection against shock in some situations, but not all and once you have an earth connection made on whatever you are testing (which could be through a scope probe etc) then the protection is lost.

My 2p - build the dim bulb first without the isolation transformer, and then when you have that as a tool, and know more decide on the isolation or not.

fran -

many thanks, I'm not sure though which transformer your referencing as there is no "brown" wires on the ILP 9T029 (the one with the pink wires) ?

so which wire (with grey) do you mean to "...apply 240V in to brown and grey" ?

ps. I have the Earth wire on a switch if it was ever needed in bypass mode. I neglected to mention that in my first couple of posts. (its beside the outlet socket)
IMG_8310.JPEG

cheers

In the picture below

on one side of the transformer you have brown/blue and yellow/grey pairs, and the same thing on the other side. Then at 11oclock you have the pink pair where you got no voltage.

So looking at the left hand side of the Tx in this picture - if you tie blue and yellow together wiring that pair in series, and do the same on the right hand side. Then apply some AC voltage to brown and grey on the left hand side - what do you get on brown and grey on the right hand side?

For safety, please use the 12Vac from your other transformer rather than full 240Vac from the mains. At the same time, check what you get on the pink wires (pink to pink).

With everything disconnected is either pink wire connected to anything else by measuring continuity?

Attachments

• powered to mains - result.png
    powered to mains - result.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
This transformer will only give you 12Vac output - not the 240Vac you are looking for.
(Sadly, I dont have a 110V source (or Variac), and i only have an RCD socket in place for everything I do).
@woodturner-fran,
You (and others), were correct about the wire varnish. it was on that thick I hadn't scraped enough away to make contact. cheers.
That AD3285T transformer does now work, but has 12v output, so useless for my task.
I'm trying to help the OP get a low voltage source to test the other two transformers.
ok, so here are the remaining 2 x transformers Ω readings

iLP TRANSFORMER - 9T029

RED + BLUE - OL (on both pairs)
GREY + YELLOW - OL (on both pairs)
PINK - 1.8Ω

iLP TRANSFORMER - 9T631

RED + BLUE - OL
GREY + YELLOW - OL
BROWN + ORANGE - 1Ω (on both pairs)

Are these then safe to connect to mains to measure output voltages ?

Do i need to join any 9T029 wires together ? (shown below) i.e. Blue + Blue, Brown +Brown , to mains N+L?
View attachment 1312436
I just tested it on the mains (240v). SO, if i connect either set of Red and Blue to the mains, i do get 240v on the Grey and Yellow wires from the same grouping of wires. No voltage on the PINK wires when either set of Red+Blue are connected to mains ?

what can be deduced from these findings ? thanks

i.e.
View attachment 1312765
The resistance measurement does not match the voltage reading!
It’s so baffling!!!

In the picture below

on one side of the transformer you have brown/blue and yellow/grey pairs, and the same thing on the other side. Then at 11oclock you have the pink pair where you got no voltage.

So looking at the left hand side of the Tx in this picture - if you tie blue and yellow together wiring that pair in series, and do the same on the right hand side. Then apply some AC voltage to brown and grey on the left hand side - what do you get on brown and grey on the right hand side?

For safety, please use the 12Vac from your other transformer rather than full 240Vac from the mains. At the same time, check what you get on the pink wires (pink to pink).

With everything disconnected is either pink wire connected to anything else by measuring continuity?
fran.. ugh! I see what's happened. That picture for whatever reason does make those wires look brown..? they are in fact red. I have colour-filtered it.... cheers

powered to mains2 - result.png

Ok, forgetting about the AMETHYST DESIGNS LIMITED - AD3285T, as it is only 12v output and useless.

The other 2 (ILP) I am convinced, based on the supplied ILP code list (Weight and Dimensions), that they are both 625VA ?
e.g.
2. ILP TRANSFORMERS - 9T029
3. ILP TRANSFORMERS - 9T631

decoding the voltages is still the worry .... :unsure:

Moving on then to the 3rd transformer ILP TRANSFORMER - 9T631

Notes: ORANGE+BROWN wires (are paired together, wrapped in a yellow band) are much thinner than all the rest. (with 1.0 Ω across them)
Notes: GREY + BLUE wires seem to be directly linked (has a dead short across them..?) - why ?
and RED + YELLOW wires also seem to be directly linked (has a dead short across them...?) - why ?

SO, i tested....

...with "RED + BLUE" transformer wires connected to 240v MAINS... ;

the V OUTPUT on GREY+YELLOW = 240v
the V OUTPUT on ORANGE+BROWN = 225mV (on each pair)
the V OUTPUT on ORANGE+ORANGE = 1.3v
the V OUTPUT on BROWN+BROWN = 1.3v

...with RED + GREY transformer wires connected to 240v MAINS....

the V OUTPUT on BLUE + YELLOW = 240v
the V OUTPUT on ORANGE+BROWN = 2.3v (on each pair)

...with BLUE + YELLOW transformer wires connected to 240v MAINS....

the V OUTPUT on RED + GREY= 240v
the V OUTPUT on ORANGE+BROWN = 2.0v (on each pair)

any of this make sense ? and why not of any use to use in my Dim Lamp Tester/Isolator project ? (has 240v in and 240v out...?)

ILP TRANSFORMERS - 9T631 (d).JPEG

Last edited:
Also If this helps ? I found this related to ILP Transformers. (since it mentions "Pink" wires, I assumed it relates to the 9T029 model ?
in which case, the diagram mentions "Isolation Transformer" beneath "CONNECTION DETAILS".
But then again, there are no "Orange" wires on this model...

IMG_8395.JPEG

IMG_8354.JPEG

Last edited: