Thin DIY fabric sleeved guitar cable?

Curious on how will you tightly insert shielded cable inside a thin textile sleeve.

Afaik at the Factory a special machine "knits" separate threads around shielded cable, under tension, so just made sleeve is tight.
Can't imagine that being done at home.

Curious on how will you tightly insert shielded cable inside a thin textile sleeve.

Afaik at the Factory a special machine "knits" separate threads around shielded cable, under tension, so just made sleeve is tight.
Can't imagine that being done at home.
I know some woven materials can expand and contract a little along their length (e.g., Techflex) to be more fitted.

I do a lot of work with cores to 3mm and some work with cores over 10mm and can pass on some thoughts on those sizes. Sorry, no experience with cores between 3mm and 10. There are two processes. As already mentioned, weaving or braiding around the core. This is best done with a machine and not a result that works long term as it's not compatible with core twist

Preferred is the Chinese finger grip system. The core is inserted up the hollow fabric tube and the tube smoothened over and pull out to shrink over. This grips the core very securely and can also be lessened up to relieve twist. The ends are whipped to secure

Search on 360tuna for posts on hollow core by members Basil, Pametfishir and me, Saqa for tutorials and discussions

You might be able to find Jerry Brown hollow core Spectra in the sizes you want. I have never looked for anything larger than to take 3mm core

Look at places like Mudhole for larger sizes in materials other than spectra. I have used Nylon and carbon fibre for 10mm and larger cores, and also core bundles. Very good alternative to plastic looms. Ends are terminated with whipping, heat shrink and/or cable ties

A solid core can also be inserted into these hollow fabric tubes and laminated with epoxy for hoop strength, but it doesn't do much for stiffness

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users