The XSD Speaker

You can get the PT2522R-4 (with back cup) and remove the glued on cups if you wish. You could also leave the back cup and use it monopole. It would probably work without a dipole tweeter above 4500Hz as most of the spatial dipole effect is covered by the midrange.

Thanks for taking the plunge into this speaker.
X,
Thank You for this elaboration. Elsewhere in the development thread, you have commented that a dome tweeter would work too - so this seems in line with that earlier statement. jhc

X,
Thank You for this elaboration. Elsewhere in the development thread, you have commented that a dome tweeter would work too - so this seems in line with that earlier statement. jhc
X,
I've learned the the GRS 2522-4 is out of stock at Parts Express. As an alternative I've purchased the B&G Neo3 (PDRW) from Parts Express, their # is 264-7601, with 32+- remaining. Apparenty the GRS is made in China and the major export hubs there are "locked down" from CV-19 fears with an unknown arrival time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The GRS is a clone of the B&G Neo so should work. Although my crossover was designed specifically for the GRS variant. You may need to adjust the resistor padding level to balance but it should be fine.

Edit: I looked at the B&G and first thing I noticed is that it’s almost $100 more each! Ouch. But the other thing is that I cannot be sure all the rivets and screw heads line up perfectly with the GRS version. So the waveguide may or may not fit. Note that there is no screw on the sides like on the GRS.
B&G Neo3 (PDRW) photo from their data sheet:
A152F1FC-A161-4C9D-9FB6-0A709CE98573.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The GRS is a clone of the B&G Neo so should work. Although my crossover was designed specifically for the GRS variant. You may need to adjust the resistor padding level to balance but it should be fine.

Edit: I looked at the B&G and first thing I noticed is that it’s almost $100 more each! Ouch. But the other thing is that I cannot be sure all the rivets and screw heads line up perfectly with the GRS version. So the waveguide may or may not fit. Note that there is no screw on the sides like on the GRS.
B&G Neo3 (PDRW) photo from their data sheet:
View attachment 1050684

X,
You anticipated my worries about substituting a B&G for the unavailable and undeterminable arrival of your chosen GRS tweeter. P-E assures me I have a 2 month retunn policy if GRS replacements arrive shortly. I am taking an educated guess that your bezel fits the B&G - due to cloning similarites.
In an earlier portion of your threads, I recall you saying that you selected from among 8 GS tweeters to find a better matched pair and to me that implies a looser quality control in those GRS tweeters. I hope that B&G more tightly control their consitency so I can avoid a mismatch problem - and thus my willingness to pay a higher price.
How do you go about doing "matching" of items liks the GRS PT2522-4?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I basically don’t know how well it performs until I measure the response and harmonic distortion with REW. I am going to ask the manufacturer to provide better tolerance and quality control on ones that we will use for the commercial version of XSD. You will see (or hear) a higher level of THD in a sweep of the sound vs frequency. I suspect it has to do with the diaphragm tension or touching something as it vibrates. I also suspect the B&G will have tighter control and of the quality and manufacturing tolerances that controls this aspect. On all film ribbon tweeters, ribbon tension is an important aspect that controls the sound quality. Probably true on a planar (ribbon like) membrane.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Interesting request. I’ll try to do that in the coming days or weeks, time permitting.

Are you going to make the XSD?
I am very interested, because I have been looking for something with "volume" but cramping in a 12 or 15 inch front is a too much at home, yet I am also looking for something quality with imaging and precise highs. For this I would much rather buy the XO plans or a kit with the XO than investing in Mini Dsp + 2 extra amps. ( I am building the Akitika 4 ohm amp at the moment... A bit of a impulsive project)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You guys have to check out this recording I made of a YouTube video playing on the XSD speakers. It sounds so realistic and like a live band. The dynamics, detail, soundstage and imaging were all there. I am not sure it is going to come through in an iPhone 12 Pro max recording of a recording though. Found out the iPhone 12 Pro Max "zooms" the mic when you zoom the lens. Never knew that. More on the mic performance here.

This is the video I recorded as it played on the XSD speakers. Full chain: Win 10 PC, Khadas TB1 USB DAC, LSA HyperDrive-2 preamp, LSA Warp-1 amp, XSD speakers.

A big thanks to Zman01 for recommending this video to listen to! :cheers:

Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry, I missed which thread this is? … I can’t say anything about someone else’s design. Without reading it though, I won’t hesitate to say that this SLOB design, the XSD, was certainly not a waste of time. In fact, it’s one of the best speakers I have heard, ever.

Benefits: small front baffle size, allows use of low cost drivers, massive cone area, vibration and distortion reduction, lower bass extension vs size, reduced floor bounce dip, more uniform bass less affected by room modes, and some SPL gain from slot velocity.

Last edited: