The avatars…

Joined 2017
Paid Member
There are some really cool avatars in use, and some really so-uncool-they‘re-cool-again avatars…

I confess: I „identify“ some of the fine folks who use a foto of somebody with these and this can be a bit disturbing. OTOH, some are just perfect, and they are biasing whatever is written under their name to the positive. (Looking at you, @Mark Johnson , @SRMcGee , @meldano , @ggetzoff )

A bit naive, isn’t it? 🙃🥳

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@Mark Johnson

180694.jpg

@SRMcGee

11823.jpg

@meldano

33714.jpg

@ggetzoff

20470.jpg

note that 400x400pixels is the optimum size to upload @Pano is an example

18738.jpg

dave

I like rongon's resistor with the fellow standing upon it victoriously. Still cant figure out what it means...

Planet10 had a different "eye" theme before. Which one is better, new or original?

Who knows the depths to transcend, just over avatars.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting topic.

I've noticed that I feel "discomfort" when someone changes their avatar because it's as if I no longer recognize the person that the avatar represents even if I've never actually met the person.

This fact made me think that the avatar has a very high importance in identifying a member in one's imagination and that the suggestion it exerts on the reader is not negligible, but is also very high.

It seems impossible that one could be influenced to such an extent by a symbolic image, but this is precisely what happens (at least to me).

The most absurd thing I noticed is that the avatar seems to have much more importance than the nickname (the choice of which would also be extremely interesting to explore further because there are some truly exceptional ones, @bucks bunny just as an example comes to mind right now which I have found it simply brilliant), and that image is interpreted as if you look at his face in so-called real life, it's crazy!

I very much agree that personal photos are "a bit disturbing".
Perhaps because it is as if they "betrayed" the agreement on the "mystery" inherent in using and choosing an avatar that evidently represents something for those who chose it, and that those who chose it want it to represent for those who observe it.
It's almost like playing poker and feeling like a cheat because I don't use a real photo of myself, although in reality you shouldn't use...
And who knows how many other things it implies.

As I said before, very interesting topic. (y)

Reactions: 1 users