Sunvalley SV-S1616D [300B]

Just finished building this kit. All voltages in check. Sounding great. Thanks again Victor. I love building these things. 01968ECE-DB9F-4FCE-9C1B-8B58E98CCB71.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
After finally getting into the box and seeing what I had to work with in terms of any upgrades, I decided to do the following ;

Upgraded the resistors to PRP.
Using a single 1.2k ohm 10w MIlls instead of the parallel 2.4K 5w. Mills resistor on the other 5w wirewound.
Nichicon capacitors, audio grade (FG or KZ) where I could get them.
WBT binding posts. Vampire copper base RCAs.
Will bypass potentiometer. BTW Parts Connexion has a great sounding Audio Note 100k pot. using in my preamp and reasonably priced (compared to TKD).

Maybe a helpful observation for builders and upgraders ;
The dual binding post cutout precludes mounting them as singles without doing some modification to the chassis.
The excellent instruction manual has a fused AC inlet (bad IMO) in that build.
The kit has a seperate AC inlet and fuse holder (good IMO). I did not notice an indication of the change in the manuel.

Will stick with the same wire, but silver wire like rwind 4197 did sound like a great upgrade.
Will update when done

Reactions: 1 user
After finally getting into the box and seeing what I had to work with in terms of any upgrades, I decided to do the following ;

Upgraded the resistors to PRP.
Using a single 1.2k ohm 10w MIlls instead of the parallel 2.4K 5w. Mills resistor on the other 5w wirewound.
Nichicon capacitors, audio grade (FG or KZ) where I could get them.
WBT binding posts. Vampire copper base RCAs.
Will bypass potentiometer. BTW Parts Connexion has a great sounding Audio Note 100k pot. using in my preamp and reasonably priced (compared to TKD).

Maybe a helpful observation for builders and upgraders ;
The dual binding post cutout precludes mounting them as singles without doing some modification to the chassis.
The excellent instruction manual has a fused AC inlet (bad IMO) in that build.
The kit has a seperate AC inlet and fuse holder (good IMO). I did not notice an indication of the change in the manuel.

Will stick with the same wire, but silver wire like rwind 4197 did sound like a great upgrade.
Will update when done
Nice parts selection. I done about the same with the Pre-Amp...But I did use Silver wire, Takman, Nichicon PW and Mundorf Supreme Film. Your part selection will "Pay Off" to what you hear.

Just a follow up on the SV S1616D. Got it with with WE 300B, Brimar driver tubes, Audio Note caps. Used Takman REY, PRP and Mills resistors, Nichicon electrolytics, WBT binding posts and DH Labs RCAs. Belton audiophile sockets. I will preface by saying it is my first SET amp so I don't have a great comparison, but it sounds wonderful. Great high frequency detail without any shrillness. Liquid midrange and good bass with plenty of power in my 92dB speakers. Quiet for tube amp.
Sound exceeds my other amps by far.
Very happy with result and thanks again Victor.

Associated equipment
Speakers: Coincident Partial Eclipse 2
Preamp: Transcendent Sound The Slider; Phono: Jolida JD9 (modded with film and foil coupling caps, Burr Brown op amps, Psvane tubes)
Sources Schitt Yggy, April Music Stello CDT, Olive One (as file server), GEM polytable.
Various power conditioners, cables etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Victor. What is the current status for assembled kits. Specifically options, price and availability?

While I’d prefer to buy an assembled amp, I’d also consider a kit if assembled amps are not currently available. Any update you could provide would be appreciated.

Dave

I used a Furutech IEC and VH RCA which I believe are "standard" size. The cutout for the speakers terminals are a double. The only ones I found were WBT besides similar ones that were supplied with the kit. Despite the cost they are worth it. I also used Belden audiophile tube sockets which I also recommend.
I found the supplied wire a little fragile for my clumsy fingers and used a little heavier gauge PTFE and Mogami.
I will echo Victor that the components supplied are of high quality and WE 300Bs are the best.
He is great to deal with as well
Hope that helps. BTW what speakers did you get ?

Reactions: 1 user
+1 on the Westrex 300B's

with BP you want the least metal and the cheep'o post aren't bad in that regard but if it makes you feel better to have copper over budget brass post the following gold plated tellurium copper post are pretty good:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/binding_posts/eichmann-cablepods-copper.html

...given older used SV kit 300B amps with Tango or Tamura transformers, some transformer models that when available sold for comparatively less than the current amp's Hashimoto's, posted on eBay, Agon & XXAudiomart, selling in the $3K - $5K range, I suppose it couldn't hurt the resale value to use the $$$ post. Will you hear the difference blindfolded???

I used a Furutech IEC and VH RCA which I believe are "standard" size. The cutout for the speakers terminals are a double. The only ones I found were WBT besides similar ones that were supplied with the kit. Despite the cost they are worth it. I also used Belden audiophile tube sockets which I also recommend.
I found the supplied wire a little fragile for my clumsy fingers and used a little heavier gauge PTFE and Mogami.
I will echo Victor that the components supplied are of high quality and WE 300Bs are the best.
He is great to deal with as well
Hope that helps. BTW what speakers did you get ?

Hi, much appreciated on the info! I got the Devore O/96

Very nice choice of speakers and on my most wanted list. They should pair wonderfully if you decided on the SV 1616D.
Joking aside regarding upgrades...they provide higher functional performance and are usually longer lasting if properly selected.
Especially things like BPs which have a tendency to slip. Also recommend the AN caps for coupling.

Victor, can you reply to me in a personal message what the cost would be for the SV-S1616D kit with Hashimoto transformers, no tubes, but the KT88 conversion kit and the VCAP-ODAM coupling caps? Please include shipping and insurance to zip code 27516 (North Carolina, USA) and the expected "lead time" to ship when the order is placed. Thanks!