Son of Zen Working?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dug into my parts bin and built a Son of Zen from all the parts I could find.

I'm using 20W 8 ohm resistors and 10W 1 ohm resistors and IRF510 transistors.

The transformer I'm using has a 50VDC seconday which drops down to 44VDC under load from the Zen. It pulls 4.45A of current, which is 195W..

According to Mr. Pass's charts however at 44 VDC i should be producing about 30W of power. Hm... With those charts, I should be using huge resistors and more than 195W of power supply? no, yes? I'm using 20W resistors and yes, they get burning hot but I have huge heatsink..

Is this normal operation..can't be.. not from "to get an output of 25 watts from the circuit, we will need a transformer witha bout a 1000VA (one kilowatt) rating having split secondaries of about 32 volts each."

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Finley (arnach)

Impressive

Whenever I build these SOZs, they never ceases to impress me with in the midrange.. WOw... was listenting to Moby South Side, never even hardly heard Gwen Stefani before, heard her loud and clear, and on my test speakers too..wow..

Still wondering if it's working though..drawing 4.4A steady.. put a fan on it, it's like a hair dryer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.