Room acoustics problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a 15" subwoofer and 500W amplifier hooked up to my hifi. I normally listen to my music when I’m either laying or sitting on my bed and the bass sounds quite good but I have noticed that it sounds a lot better if I stand next to my door. It sounds like there is at least an extra 10dB and it hits lower notes as well.

Is there anyway of focusing this wonderful bass towards my normal listening position?

I have my subwoofer facing the wall, should I have it facing into the room?, Should I build a new box and have the subwoofer under my bed?, please help.

Thank you

To maximize the bass in a specific place you need a sound meter. Place the sub at the intended listening position and run a 40Hz test tone through it. Go around the room with the meter and find the location where it gets the highest SPL reading. That's where the sub goes.

A sub will almost always play louder facing a wall and louder still facing into a corner.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

You are simply a victim of standing waves, a very common problem at low frequencies. Depending on where your ears are, there will be a sound pressure maximum, minimum, ore somewhat in between. It is not possible to tune your system that you wlll have constant SPL at a given frequency all over the room.
There may be a position of the sub where you have somewhat identical SPL at your both listening places, but this will most probably cause problems with other frequencies.
Room acoustics - this is where the big points in sound quality are made. It is responsible for at least 90 percent of your system's overall performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.