Power & Ground Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting ready to build a preamp using Thorsten's DC Phono and parallel 6SN7 linestages. The phono has shared tubes for left & right channel so it is not easy to split the PS for left & right. I have a Salas HV shunt reg for PS regulation.

The amp will be built onto a Hammond chassis with tubes sticking out the top. I am thinking of putting the PT and CLC in a separate chassis with a filtered DC umbilical to the preamp chassis that will also house the shunt reg.

The phono and linestage will be P-P built on turret boards here: Terminal Board - 2 x 8 Pin Socket | Antique Electronic Supply

My question is the Salas shunt has a supply and sense + & -. What is the best way to supply power to this preamp that utilizes multiple boards? My thought is sketched out below. The grey arrows are signal lines and the red/black are power. The idea is to put a power & ground "terminal" between the 2 terminal boards where the regulator feed and sense lines will connect then from there to each board. The ground terminal will be located close the the output jacks and will be my star ground point. Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• elcheapo_wiring.jpg
    elcheapo_wiring.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,567
The preamp is single-ended so the "negative" wire is just DC reference.

I read a lot of conflicting information about location of the star point. Because I am using a regulator with a sense wire, the star ground needs to be beside the power feed star to form a Kelvin connection. The rectifier is pre-regulator and in another chassis so that is no good. Several people recommend tying the star close to the output jack as that is the highest level signal that is least susceptible to noise.

Also, the chassis of this box will be GND potential. The IEC ground will be on the power supply chassis and only DC will be running to this chassis, so no concerns with the chassis being tied to the star GND where noisy AC GND resides.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.