Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

@bentconvert and all,

Dip # 8 and #6 did the job. #8 Took away nearly all of the whine, but there was still a very high-frequency whine (I mean very high). So I tried various combinations, and #6 took that away and did not affect the sound much...Of course, I read about number #8 for HOMC in the build docs, but did I remember ?noooo.....LOL! So many thanks to @bentconvert and @6L6 ..

The unit sounds significantly better than my older pre and I absolutely love the sound of the Hana! It's a whole new level of audio experience for me.
Glad you got it sorted out!

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, Can hear it now, thank you.

That’s not the Pearl, it’s noise from something external, try moving the Pearl chassis away from other things (or vice-versa). Also try engaging the input zobel. (DIP switch #8)

Make sure you have electrical connection between all the chassis panels, that’s a very common way for noise to get into the circuit.

The ferrite will also quite likely help once you get it.

Last edited:
When I first got my preamp and Pearl 3 up and running, I had a buzzy hum deep in the background that sounded a little different than BPR's. A few days later my wife mentioned that her computer power supply had quit charging her laptop and through a series of tests had discovered a bad power strip... I turned on the Stereo, on a completely different circuit, btw, and the buzzy hum was gone. It hasn't come back. Check for any inverter type power supplies etc. in your house. Sooner or later you'll find the culprit. Good luck.
Don

Reactions: 1 users
I think the Pearl 3 was too close to the wifi mesh router. I moved it farther away and the noise diminished. If I can move it away even farther, I imagine I can get the noise floor even lower. The ferrite clamps may help too once the mouser package arrives. I'll report back once I make these additional changes.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the Pearl 3 was too close to the wifi mesh router. I moved it farther away and the noise diminished. If I can move it away even farther, I imagine I can get the noise floor even lower. The ferrite clamps may help too once the mouser package arrives. I'll report back once I make these additional changes.
Your noise is ~2kHz --

Attachments

• Pearl3_SMPS.png
    Pearl3_SMPS.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 24