ob question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all, I am planning to built an open baffle desgin using as LF DRIVE one eminence kappa pro 15LF (crossed at 300~400 hz 2ND ORDER). I would like to make it three way so for tweeter I will use
my favorite visaton DSM 25ffl (crossed at about 8k to 11k 3rd order), but for the mids I am between a fullrange driver as Fostex fe206 / fe166 (crossed at 500 hz 2nd order HP) or one HF compresion drive eminence 2002 with CD Horn crossed at about 1.5k 2nd order and maybe an L-Pad.
Which one will be more musical combination the hf compresion drive or the fullrange. Also if use a fullrange, I will have power handling problem or not?
Does anyone has anything to suggest?
Thnx

The fullrange driver combination would sound more musical to me, because it will keep the dipole radiation pattern through the mid range. With the Fostex I would cross the Visaton lower - about 4 kHz.
I don't see much of a power handling prob at 500 Hz cross over. You could still change from 2nd order HP to third.

I have neither of those drivers - just some short listening experience with both. They are different, but I could not call one better than the other.
Personally I would opt for a true midrange driver with much better Xmax. This would allow for a crossover at 300 Hz or lower.
I can´t say anything about best use for the Eminence horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.