nxV202PS build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone :eek:

I've been thinking about building (or, trying to build) my own amplifier for a while. I don't have any experience with electronics or soldering (except for a christmas tree shaped pcb with leds that i soldered some years ago(!), and having built a few computers..), but i want to learn something new. So i thought i'd post my notes, plans, questions and so on here on the forum, so that whoever is interested may have a look, and i can hear some comments..

I'm hoping for great audio quality (want to use it for mix monitoring), and it must not be hopelessly expensive..
EDIT: dropping plans about dac for now.

Components:
- nxV202PS Dual Channel amplifier + heat sink
- Limiter-One
- 500VA transformer, Noratel
- 2u rack chassis, CamdenBoss
- connectors: balanced xlr, speakers, power
- potentiometer, power switch, wires..

Edit: i think i got all my quetsions answered for now by a helpful email from Holton.

Will keep updating this as i figure things out and the project moves on...

Last edited:
Before jumping in and taking on such a hard task of building any sort of amplifier try a small 15w just to gain some insight of how things work. Large amplifiers contain high voltages and currents that can and will kill or at best give nasty burns.

Small amplifiers are quick to repair if things go wrong but large amps have costly parts if things go wrong. Also read up on information to gain experience in how things work plus there's the safety point on how to handle power caps and discharge the right way..

Scope/gennie's/meter's/bench psu's/dummy loads all play a part in building amplifier's..

volume control is handy to have built plus speaker protection circuits save speakers from being burnt...

There is plenty to read on here and look at some amp build's..

best of luck..

Yeah, thanks for the warning and advice, perhaps it is a good idea to try something smaller first. I'm aware of the dangers involved, but need more knowledge about how to deal with that before i begin. Any entry level reading material or project recommendations? Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.