Martin Logan Ethos 2024 Active (DIY)

Just finished a small project adding a Hypex NC500MP under each speaker to make them active. Also had the cabinets spray painted in satin gray polyurethane furniture paint. I think it looks more up to date 2024-ish. By the way, the hypex does quite good driving the ESL load. I had a dialogue wiht Hypex (nice people!), and they confirmed that it would not be a problem with the ESL load. This is a point where Hypex differs from Icepower. Icepower would probably have a challenge with the capacitive load. Anyway, now my Ethos are fully active with hypex driving the esl's and icepower for the subs. Works nice ;)

What do you think?

IMG_4233.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4235.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Hi MJ, I havent heard the ethos' with a conventional setup, but I early had a pair of Vantage's combined with a Lyngdorf TDAI2200RP amp. That was also very good - however also class d. I am very happy with the sound. The hypex is very powerful. Maybe potentially too powerful, but I just do not crank it up to 100% ;). The sound is very clean - you can say very dry even. It could be a lot of fun to try out a tube amp at some point - if nothing else - just to learn about the difference.

Hi Andersonix,
The color on the sub is actually gray, and the walls is white. They blend in nice though, and makes the speaker more discrete. The original finish was cherry.
I am not sure, if ML is still using IcePower. But mine does. I previously had a pair of fully digital Dynaudio Focus 60XD. They were wireless, which I liked a lot. My ML's however sound much better - better soundstage - fuller size - even the sub-base seams more live-like. That just shows that data can deceive... On paper the Dynaudios are much better in the deep end. Well they are really good, but the ML seems to couple better with my room.
I didnt take pictures of the bas units. They were ML branded. I have been building DIY speakers with many different brands of drivers. I have never seen anything that looks like the ones in the ML's. Probably some american stuff!?

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
I just acquired a pair of Ethos speakers yesterday, and I'm excited to dive into some DIY modifications. My plan is to explore the possibility of replacing the drivers with Purifi PTT8 Al drivers and understanding the Xover system better. I'll be sure to keep you updated with my progress and share plenty of pictures. It's only Monday, and I can't wait for the weekend to get started!

Cheers,

Jon

Question on the positioning:
  • how is the soundstage? Is there only a sweet spot in the true center corridor of the two speakers like ML shows in its diagrams in their manual
  • or is that nonsense and you can hear a [some??] soundstage also in these Marcel Breuer Grand Comforts?
albert

Hi Triode_al,
Being curved electrostats, the sweet spot is about 2 persons wide. The chairs (Le Corbusier LC2) are not for listening ;) I have a sofa for that.
On the other hand, the limited dispersion, means that reflections from floor and ceiling are very limited, making the sound at the listening position(s) very clean and uncluttered. I enjoy it a lot!

The manual gives the impression of a tight listening position, in my 12m deep* 6m room I sit at 4 m.
When I had Quad ESL 57 with the flat panel for the highs I never ever had the impression that you could not hear the high frequencies outside of an ideal position. It filled the room, almost just like my current horns.
I'll go have a listen.
They say it even can accomodate a tube amp, I hope like 300B.