IMG_20240504_190925.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20240504_191043.jpg
    IMG_20240504_191043.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
@Protegimus ,I made it from scratch, so I'm pretty pleased with it.Power supply is OK, it's the caps that flounder. They are 35v,but I measured the voltages and they do lag behind a bit if you have it switched to the higher rail voltages, so I use either 50v or 63's and that seems to do the trick

@poundy I have been following your thread for a while, and I'm learning a great deal from it, thank you for sharing!
I have a 3020 that's been in the family since new, about 1982/3
I recently bought a 3020A for 300ZAR (±£13) no cover, no base and very dirty. I am in the process of getting it back to a working condition and upgrade, hence the interest in your post. At this point I am stuck, needing an RCA MJ2955
Anyway, do you want to share the list of caps that you replaced? Will really help me if I get this one sorted.

Regards,
John

Joined 2021
Paid Member
@inphase01 ,i did a full recap of the electrolitics, replacing some with film caps. I do have some original RCA(H) MJ's but it looks like you are a long way away.You realy need matching pairs. If when fitting these so you may be batter off changing all 4 and get matched sets. I always fit emitter resistors to the H's as well. What is the serial number of you amp?

@inphase01 ,i did a full recap of the electrolitics, replacing some with film caps. I do have some original RCA(H) MJ's but it looks like you are a long way away.You realy need matching pairs. If when fitting these so you may be batter off changing all 4 and get matched sets. I always fit emitter resistors to the H's as well. What is the serial number of you amp?
I am really keen to take the RCA's off you if you want to sell them. I have family in the UK and my brother-in-law will be visiting there next week for 3 weeks. Maybe we can make a plan? The serial No. is B3224084

Joined 2021
Paid Member
@poundy I have been following your thread for a while, and I'm learning a great deal from it, thank you for sharing!
I have a 3020 that's been in the family since new, about 1982/3
I recently bought a 3020A for 300ZAR (±£13) no cover, no base and very dirty. I am in the process of getting it back to a working condition and upgrade, hence the interest in your post. At this point I am stuck, needing an RCA MJ2955
Anyway, do you want to share the list of caps that you replaced? Will really help me if I get this one sorted.

Regards,
John
I just havent put it back yet

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I am really keen to take the RCA's off you if you want to sell them. I have family in the UK and my brother-in-law will be visiting there next week for 3 weeks. Maybe we can make a plan? The serial No. is B3224084
ok so that is a realy late one, just before the 'b' version and will have the board represented in these 2 diagrams
Your phono and power amp set up will be as diagram 1(3120)-your tone sections as per the next diagrams
Ive never been able to find an 'A' version manual so ive had to work it out working on various versions
The series 20 original had 2 setups basicaly, the late ones having the 'A' board but without the MM/MC circuit
The 'A's a combination of below and the B's a slightly different set up and power supply

Ive just checked my transistors and i only have NPN's no PNP'S sorry

you best bet is to buy these, ive used these and they are from a good supplier-if you buy a pair they will be batch matched

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/2N3055H.html

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/MJ2955.html

dont be tempted to get from ebay

good luck with your work(y)

1715190548235.png

1715190890898.png

1715190844965.png

Last edited by a moderator: