KAV-300 CD spin but stops

Hello Ladies and Gentlemans

I have a Kav-300 Cd player and when putting the cd in, the cd mechanism start spinning the cd and after 5 sec, it stops.

The player hasnt been used for many years and i suspect there are a few bad capacitors.

I tried to find the service manual and i cant find the correct one.

Any help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-09-15-54-45-53_0ce57feeccaa51fb7deed04b4dbda235~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-09-15-54-45-53_0ce57feeccaa51fb7deed04b4dbda235~2.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2024-05-09-15-54-31-62_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-09-15-54-31-62_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 39
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are assuming a bad capacitor without any indication this is the case.

What we know is the laser is getting a focus lock, and the disc is spinning. You haven't told us if the speed is stable, too fast or too slow.

Do not adjust anything, or replace anything yet. You may create additional issues, and waste money in the process.

What does the eye pattern look like? Can you post it please?

I had an Bang & Olufsen cd player last week and it did the same. Spinning and stops after 5 sec. I found a website indicating that the caps on the servo board needs to be changed , which i did and it solved the problem, it was only 6 caps, so it was an easy one.

The cd-player were given to me for free so i dont have so much knowledge about age and usage.

An other issue on this player were that the cd eject mechanism didnt worked as the belt were too weak. That been also changed and that part works.
So im guessing the cd player havent been used for several years.

The cd spins normally and i can hear the laser to move but its not reading and it moves away and then cd stop spinning.

I do not have a oscilloscope, allthough i have multimeter but that wont help on the eye pattern.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Honestly, attempting to service something without the proper tools is a non-starter. The eye pattern tells you so much.

I receive equipment damaged by attempted service extremely often, some destroyed. Because you got something cheap or free isn't an excuse to hack it. It's always a shame when one of two things happen.
  1. Someone spends a lot of time and money on something that was too damaged to repair, or had a serious fault expensive to repair
  2. Someone damages equipment that could have been repaired normally by a skilled person in the trade.
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but you should consider this. There are people who would love to have that and repair it properly.

This cd player should use SONY KSS-240A pick-up. Check whether its lens is stained or fogged, or try to enhance the luminescence of the laser diode. This should be able to confirm whether the KSS-240A is damaged, but this is things you do without an oscilloscope. If you have an oscilloscope, first confirm the eye pattern but you may not be able to see the eye pattern because the pick-up focus fails.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
First shot, analogue scope.
Second shot, very expensive digital scope (direct capture).

It took me to get to a Keysight 3000 series 1 GHz scope to get eye patterns I could use. So I always recommend a decent analogue oscilloscope for audio work. I keep my analogue scopes for this reason, although the Keysight operates very well.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Eye pattern - new head, KSS-123A.png
    Eye pattern - new head, KSS-123A.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'd sell mine to someone who knows what it is. It's serviced too. It lived in my rack with the Tek rackmount kit.

Mine is a 2465B CT (frequency counter option). I used to connect a frequency counter to the Y1 output on all scopes. You don't have to with this one.