Is ground plane important?

Hello everyone!

Im designing my first pcb so as you can tell im new to designing. The type of build im designing is a pcb with 2 amps 1 audio prossesor close to what we see in car radios layout. I made it 2 sided board with few connections. So my question is about ground plane, is it necessary to use it or not and if yes how can i use it right without any coupling between connections?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
For audio frequencies, power, and signal tracks and their return paths will either follow the traces in the ground plane or take the shortest root depending on the frequency. With DC, the return path is the path of least DC resistance (shortest distance). Above about 5 kHz, the return path follows the trace in the ground plane below. Loop areas of circuits should be minimized to prevent them from acting as antennae, both transmitting and receiving.

So, a ground plane will not solve all your problems with loop areas. It may be best to design your PCB with traces for return paths to minimize loop areas and then convert to ground plane afterwards.

Also, when combining audio and digital circuits, you want to separate the two circuits so the ground paths don't intermingle.

Lots of info on the net on this subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user