• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How would you drive an EL509 in enhanced triode mode.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
You asked for it....

In the original design of Bob Danielak you see a feedback loop. This has more then just one function (it is also a bootstrap). But nobody here likes this way and thinks that they can do better but nobody can get close to 10W out of the amp.

Please also read his statement :

Quote from Bob:

(Please note that constructing this amplifier requires some
technical skill; therefore, it is not recommended as a DIY project for the novice.)

I know some here are no novices but somehow act like one asking the same question again and again over the years in several threads even, and not yet have figured it out after all these years

I am sorry, normally i do not reply that harsh, but you asked for it.

Best regards,
Frank

Here is an other approach (see attachment).

This is how i would do it (off topic as it is not "enhanced" mode but true triode with EL509 tubes or 6LF6).

But be carefull as it can byte you (Plus 720V and minus 145V are required).

It is a push pull version but can be easily converted to SE.

Here you can use a small tube to drive the screen as not much current will flow (as it is negative instead of positive charged)

Good luck and have fun !

Attachments

• 2100.jpg
    2100.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 575
A project i did for a friend:

"Brocksieper Music Components Schmendrick"

After the mod this thing really rocks!

Screen grid driven with very low bias voltage as grid 1 is now shorted to cathode.

+650V anode voltage fully balanced design.

Attachments

• PARZ9133[1].JPG
    PARZ9133[1].JPG
    698.1 KB · Views: 350
  • DYVS9438[1].JPG
    DYVS9438[1].JPG
    588 KB · Views: 352
  • NINX3826.JPG
    NINX3826.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
After all it is the “Do It” yourself forum!
I am sorry, i do not post any schematics as i use them commercially (now or in the future).
The Berning amp was just to show that it can be done in a different way and that it looked to me that this thread got nowhere (linking to already existing threads talking about exactly the same).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Perhaps I should mention that I'm planning to use the el509 by JJ. And at 270V on the plate and at 150mA. Since that has been done with the el509 and UBT-1.

Bas,

If you have it, could you provide a link/reference to the EL509/UBT-1 at these operating conditions, please? UBT-1 specifies 160ma max.

Following this with great interest and wish you the best. I have a pair of UBT-1s sitting idle, as well as several NOS 6KG6as.

10mA to the screen not in total !
I would sell the 6KG6 tubes and buy a double amount of EL519 instead or trade. Not because there is anything wrong with them but there are people who have amps using these tubes and having difficulties getting replacements as the sockets are different. In many cases replacing the sockets in not an option.
Just a thought...