How much of your music do you actually listen to?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've been pretty serious about music since before I was in my teens and started buying seriously in my late teens. So I've accumulated a lot over the last 50+ years. Last count, >1800 albums, >650 artists. Still rising. I used to look at people with 30 or 40 albums and quietly think 'amateurs'. Yup I was that music snob, I'm a much better person now. Some time ago I wrote myself an android music playing app&upnp control point and began to collect statistics on what and when listened to. The majority of what I own I listen to so infrequently it might as well not be on the shelf at all. Some gets played once or twice a year. A fair portion I've not listened to since I wrote the code recording what I listened to (about 5 years). My core listening is to probably no more than 5% of my collection. So I began to wonder if the people with 30 albums might have got something right...

What about you?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't have your statistics but it won't be that much different. During the pandemic I have been ripping my cd collection and I did find quite a lot of music I have listened to once or even not al all (still in wrapper). But I do not see this as an issue. Taste changes. I did find some that I played a lot when I was in my twenties but that I hardly play now (synth, new age, folk). Likewise I found some that I tried back then, didn't really like and put aside and that I can now appreciate. I have no idea what I will play in 10 years time.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
All music is on PC and here are some stats.
I wonder when I listened 71 times to Handel's Messiah though, or the other full albums like Greatest hits
Most of the time the player is set to auto-DJ so I guess he has a preference for Handel & Greatest hits. :)

Classical.jpg

Here's the Pop/Rock, Jazz, etc. list:

PopRock.jpg

Hugo

That is a very good question.

I started buying albums (vinyl) over 55 years ago. I was really busy buying albums in the 1970s and '80s. Then CDs got popular in the '90s and I went through a period of buying those. Then came a brief period of buying SACDs. So... I have literally thousands of albums.

I'm still working, so I don't have much time to actively listen to music. I do enjoy a quiet Sunday afternoon spinning records or decoding 0s and 1s. I'm sure I listen mostly to the same 30 or so albums over and over, but I do like to walk over to the shelf and browse the collection to see if something pops out at me. That's not easy to do with streaming services, unless you enjoy letting The Algorithm choose music for you (which I do not).

I go on streaks of listening to this or that style of music. Sometimes I really get into JS Bach, or Arsenio Rodríguez, or Jim Hall, or Mahler, or Sonny Rollins. It goes in cycles. It's nice having a big music collection because I can go exploring and I never quite know what I'll find in there...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have ~2000 Vinyl record and 300-400CDs.
I do not listen to CDs anymore, but I don't want to sell them. Thousends of Albums on HDD, which I listen to via a Streamer for when I'm to lazy to use the turntable (happens not often).
I regulary listen to maybe 20% of the recods (depending on my mood, season etc., this may be Jazz, Punk, Singer-Songwriter, Gothic, 80s...) but I don't want to miss the other 80% for when I tired of listening to the 20% :)
Yes, the turntable is spinning every day!

Reactions: 1 users
All music is on PC and here are some stats.
I wonder when I listened 71 times to Handel's Messiah though, or the other full albums like Greatest hits
Most of the time the player is set to auto-DJ so I guess he has a preference for Handel & Greatest hits. :)

View attachment 1262453

Hugo
LOL. Imagine it would have been 71 times the complete Ring... o_O

Your screenshot illustrates my problem with the way classical music is always classified in computers. There is no reference to the COMPOSER and that is the most important of it all. When I want to listen to a classical piece, I do not look for the Londen Synph Orch. I would be looking for a piano concerto by Chopin. If I have several versions I might look at the solist, maybe at the orchestra. Likewise if I'm in the mood for some organ music I would start looking for a composer, then for the organist, then for the organ it is played on.

I'm now starting on ripping the classical part of my cd collection and it is frustrating having to fill all that in manually because the programmers of those applications have ZERO understanding of classical music.

Reactions: 2 users
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000 albums, roughly split between CDs and LPs. All of it has been digitized at CD-rez and tagged.

I don't keep track of how much I listen to which record, although of course I have some favorites, and like most people, I think, go through phases. I have a pretty wide-ranging collection, but weak on classical and mainstream rock/pop. That leaves a lot of jazz, from early to quite modern, plus various world, roots, 50s/60s pop/'lounge," 80s ska and new wave, older or more offbeat country and more.

I have multiple RPi players running Moode. Also have a portable player and thumb drives in the cars. I don't often listen to albums. Mostly, I make up rough playlists by throwing in albums, then shuffling. These are generally mood/task-oriented: beer garden, dinnertime, driving (with my wife, whose taste partially overlaps mine). I also will do some genre specific: (early country, 60's pop, big band, Brazilian, etc). Kind of my own, mood-appropriate radio station.

I do make an effort to keep things in rotation. one shuffle list is "Unknowns," into which I toss anything I think I haven't listened to in a while.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ok so it’s not just me. I have several hundred CD’s and and LP’s but the core listening is probably the 5-10% that people here are saying.

Occasionally I pop in something that I haven’t played in years but there is definitely a spectral peak of about 30-40 CD’s/LP’s that I listen to most frequently.

The last time I looked at my very limited vinyl was in 1994, probably still have that original Sgt. Pepper’s somewhere, the rest was donated.

I had high hopes for the future that is now.

Probably only have less than 40 albums on a pc, and various thumb drives. I will use youtube to revisit some variety on occasion via Bluetooth.

Ever since I started streaming, I never listen to my CDs any more. Streaming has broadened my scope. I can listen to anything I want if I know what I'm looking for. And now I listen to "roots" music occasionally, in the interest of educating myself. I'll start surfing through real old blues from the 1920s and 1930s, the music that rock and jazz came from, and stuff like ancient Ike Turner, one of the early influences on rock and roll.

I listen to NPR as well. They play a lot of old jazz and blues, real ancient records as well as contemporary jazz. The deejays know the history and all the old musicians.

I do what HarryY does frequently. I built my own player that can play all the stuff I moved from CD/vinyl to disk. I can do a random song play of just my jazz, just my rock, just my classical, only artist X, composer X, etc. Lately I've done a lot by rock/jazz. I'll hear something and think, why did I stop listening to that?

I have 3,438 songs on a stick, that are on shuffle and repeat in the vehicle so I listen to all of them. Occasionally, I will skip past a song but it's rare. I have one country album (Prairie Oyster) and the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, neither of which gets the same love as the others.
Heck, my wife even has about 50 or so Vietnamese tunes on there that I don't bother to skip over.