Help me design a tapped horn!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

its been a while since I build any speaker. About 10 years ago I built a coupe of fullrage speakers and some subwoofers, most of them are still in use and I like them all.

Now I have a new project because friends dared me to do this and to be honest, I have no idea how to start. I want to built a tapped horn for a portable boom box. The amp would be a dual TPA3116 2.1 powerd by a lipo pack. From what I hear, the bridged chip amp shoud get best effiency with a low impedance subwoofer, I got this still around from a never-made car project:

https://www.gladen.de/GladenWooferPDFs/RS08Extreme.pdf

To be honest, I have no Idea if this chassis is even suitable for a horn. But I have it, so I'd like to try it, before I buy another speaker.

Next step was to try out hornresp, but that is where I failed. I started putting in the data, but didnt find a value for Le. And that was that. And even after simulating it with hornresp, I will need to fold it somehow... I tried some of these Excel calculators,

The Subwoofer DIY Page - Horn Folding

but when I put in some mesurements, there are panel floating beside the box, so this doesnt really work for me either. (or I'm just to stupid)

Maybe you guys can help me a little on the way...?

In Hornresp double click the "Sd" input field to open a popup for driver parameters. Then you can save the driver by selecting "File" > "Copy driver to database" for future use. You can "Paste driver from database" to new projects.

I have used hornresp for maybe 10 hours and its still a bit confusing :D But here is a quick start for you:

1. Click Add from bottom to start a new project
2. From Help menu, click through Input wizard to get started with tapped horn
3. Input driver parameters doubleclicking the Sd field or paste driver from database
4. start loudspeaker wizard from Tools menu and start fiddling with the values :D

I don't know anything about designing tapped horns. Maybe you could start with WinISD default design for the driver and write the enclosure volume down. Then in hornresp, initially set values so that enclosure volume is in the ballpark. Then try to get good curve (in the power window) by trial and error :)

Attachments

• ts.png
    ts.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 357
thanks for your replies tmuikku. Well I have read some hornresp tutorials before, but as I said I always failed either about missis parameters or missing knowlege on my part. The links yo posted are quite intressting but in the end didn't melp me. One of these woofers is not available anymore and none of them is 2 ohm. In fact all the stuff I found so far uses PA grade woofers, with 4 or 8 ohmm which are not really suitable for a battery powered solution that aims at maximum efficiency rather than lowest frequency.

GM

Joined 2003
Oops! Ran the numbers, but didn't notice the app! :( Still, not horrendous for a boombox as the basic 36 Hz TH = ~40 L net and the preferred 25 Hz is ~54.9 L net, so ~25% larger once built?

A 36 Hz 2:1 CR TP = ~31.4 L net, though so small in cross section that the motor will stick out through the terminus. :(

GM

GM

Joined 2003
As a general rule, true TH is best when tuned to <Fs. Note that with no inductance [Le] or excursion [Xmax] specsI just arbitrarily used 1 mH, 8 mm since it has a large surround, so performance may not be as good as predicted.

Anyway, load it into HR to view.

GM

Attachments

• GladenRS08XTH.txt
    1 KB · Views: 56
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.