Feature Request: "Thanks" button

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This isn't an issue, but rather a feature request. On other forums (like diymobileaudio.com) there is a "thanks" button that you can use to thank users for their posts.

I've noticed that some threads there are TONS of views like Markw4's ES9028Q2m thread (half a million views) but not quite as much activity as you'd expect.

I suspect that is because many people are enjoying the content but might not be as skilled to feel like they have something valuable to add. I think the "thank s" button would help content creators realize that their contributions are valuable and appreciated, even if people don't comment.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm all for finding a way for contributors to feel the recognition and kudos they deserve, and our new forum platform will give me the power to create something unique for diyAudio, which works for diyAudio's very unique community.

As Cal mentioned, we tried a very simplistic mod in the past which didn't work well and was quickly abused, mostly simply as an anti establishment protest against its introduction. As an Australian, I found that quite amusing. But that was gosh, more than half a decade ago, and things have changed a lot since then.

Having something like [Thanks][Signal][Noise][Shill], without the results being public but the results being used to help create new ways to navigate posts could be a direction I'd be interested in toying with. Eventually we'll find something that achieves the goals intended.

Last edited:
I understand where a "like" button would be abused. The thanks button has worked over on DIYMA pretty well and isn't overplayed. A private Thanks button or classification system like Jason is talking about would essentially accomplish the same goal without potentially polluting the threads. I think that's a good way to get most of the benefits while mitigating the concerns.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On another forum:
PRR
I often have no clue why I get likes. I do note that some folks give likes for almost anything, the majority never like at all. Some extended discussion of theory gets 0 or maybe 1 like, while a throw-away dismissive post gets 13 likes. 'Mark' makes more and much better posts than I do, but I am 'ahead' on likes.... no rhyme or reason.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think a tumbs-up + a tumbs-down per post where reader can express their opinion but only readable by the poster i.e. a counter for ups and one for downs. This could help a poster to gain insight into it's posting style without having to be a ridicule to the whole forum. Could maybe help me :) and others. No "side" is exposed but still, one have the ability to give feedback as well as obtain insight. Like a secret hint to poster with some stats to go along. On "My Page", stats over different time-span and trends - even maybe hints to "take it a little easy" or "keep up the good job" could be possible. Still, private info to the member. Could also be a hint to mods if eruptions of "downs" emerge - still member confidential to even mods - so warning on thread level.

//

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.