Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

@jmpsmash

Hello, I am just starting off on a Purifi stereo build with a three-way active set-up. Kinda like a Pure Acourate Sound "Junior" (Pure Acourate Sound). My “little” system would have just single 10-inch subs sealed in 55L boxes underneath. And then 6.5-inch mids sealed with a tweeter in 10-15L boxes above.

Then I happened across your 2022-01-11 post #1233 and picture about using a Purifi 6.5-inch in a sealed box for surround sound.

It so happens that my stereo system is embedded within a 9.2.6 set-up. I run a mish-mash of surround speakers at present. The notion of building a ring of Purifi 6.5’s really appeals.

Are there design plans available for the units in the picture, mid and tweeter? Did you use any particular lining or stuffing for the mids? Thanks for any advice or pointers!

Sealed Purifi 6.5-inch in 8L with separate Tweeter - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
@tktran303,
I've already the 30 & 60° curves that Purifi kindly provided to us mais I don't think it's enough to decide it is worth it to buy a pair at that price for testing... By the way my target Fc is 1250 Hz probably LR8 linear phase
Have you considered taking the IB trace(s) and simulating it in a cabinet of your preferred dimensions?

Honestly I have not done this, so I’m not sure how close/far off it would be.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes I agree the simulation is not the same as real data. Hence "real" data and simulation.

But based on my simulation, at 1250Hz, at 45 degrees off axis it is -6dB compared to on-axis, for flat piston of 25cm on 35cm wide baffle.
Are you sure you need to use LR8? What HF unit are you using?

In my experience, with sharp filters like LR8 and beyond, although it can make on-axis look very nice, can cause big directivity mismatch in the off axis angles.

My HF unit will be a NSD1095N on a 25 cm rectangular X-Shape horn. Natural acoustical cut off looks like a 6th butterworth order at 875 Hz, measurements were made free air (no baffle) at 1 m from the mouth.
I guess thatat least LR8 is a necessity

Attachments

• ND1095N X-Shape 25.jpg
    ND1095N X-Shape 25.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 40
hello guys ... so much in here that I can´t read through all of it
Is there anyone testing out or modelling PTT10.0X04 in a dedicated subwoofer setting?

I can see the Pure Acourate Sound project by @Joachim Gerhard using two active and 4 passive 10" drivers in a bass module that I think should be insanely amazing ..... any thoughts guys?

I still can´t see the 10" passive driver on the website, but I guess it may possibly be updoming? :unsure:

Last edited:
@buzz-no The 10-inch drivers are already pretty pricey. And it seemed to me that they are capable enough that they may not need passive radiators. With the twin woofers on each side and matching twin passive radiators for each woofer, though, the Pure Acourate Sound system is pretty impressive in terms of the infrasonic body-vibrating it can induce. Purifi guys at the Munich show encouraged me to try sealed cabinet. Though this may be because I fessed up to being a newby and maybe they thought it better if I keep it simple at first.