EQ1616D Phono Amp

@Neville Thanks :), you brought my attention to the ground, and you mentioned another couple of tweaks you made but I couldn't. This one is a must especially if your going to lift the hood and upgrade later. I'm getting one that is already assembled, that is my concern. I have worked on guitar amps and F15 jets years ago but never Hi Fidelity.

@Neville Thanks :), you brought my attention to the ground, and you mentioned another couple of tweaks you made but I couldn't. This one is a must especially if your going to lift the hood and upgrade later. I'm getting one that is already assembled, that is my concern. I have worked on guitar amps and F15 jets years ago but never Hi Fidelity.

First ask Victor if this will void warranty !

It will be pretty easy:
1. take photo of the wires soldered to the IEC
2. de-solder them
3. remove the 2 screws holding the IEC from the back
4. insert 3 prong IEC, and screw back
5. resolder the wires correctly
6. attach new ground wire to ground connector and wire it to the screw that has a teeth washer (if you looking at the IEC and its top left, then the ground screw under power pcb is bottom right.

If you worked on such $$$ kits :) I am sure you can do this.

Attachments

• iec.jpg
    iec.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 303
  • ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
I am rebuilding my eq1616d, with better rca connectors, 1% resistors and Belton tube sockets.

BicycleJoe,I have spools of “aero plane” electrical wiring. Never used it yet but remembered I had because of your comments on working on jets. If it is genuine, are they better grade?

Probably not better grade but I'm sure they payed 10 times more than it's worth:confused:.
I used to build a few point-to-point amps and I was offered a job assembling the Jimmy Page Supro replica's designed by Mitch Colby and JP. My hands sometime cramp, even lock and shake nowadays so I turned them down. It was a prestigious position but I felt I was no longer able to take the responsibility of point to point free wire work.Had to face my limitations.:cool:

Does anyone have the DC voltage on the power supply input? This is the voltage from pin 8 on the rectifier and the black ground from the transformer (+BO and GND on the power supply board.) I'm seeing higher voltages on P1L1 and P2R1 than expected. Both are around 275VDC where the manual states they should be around 162VDC. I'm seeing 304.6VDC coming off the rectifier. My AC line voltage is around 124VAC, so a little on the high side. Tubes are Gold Lion 12AX7 and Brimar 12AU7.

Failed Power Transformer

Hello Victor:

I built up the phono preamp without major problem. It sounded pretty good with the solid state rectifier. Put in a 274B and in short order there was a nasty smell from the preamp, and the fuse went out. Put in a new fuse and the solid state rectifier again, but turning on the unit does not result in anything coming out of the preamp, the light in front does not light up, and the tube filaments do not light up. Believe I have a problem with the power transformer. How can I get a replacement?

Best,
Jon

RIAA EQ Accuracy of SV-EQ1616D and Elekit TU-8500

I was curious if I could check the accuracy of the RIAA EQ of a phono stage. I used a signal generator app, smartphone with calibrated mic, and a spectrum analyzer app (Spectroid). After correcting for non-linearity of the mic and loudspeaker, I compared the measured SPL at various test frequencies with the RIAA Specification. Based on my test results, the SV-EQ1616D and the phono stage of the Elekit TU-8500 preamp met Spec. I also tested a tube phono stage by Tavish Design which did not meet Spec (not enough LF boost & too much HF attenuation). No wonder it sounded so "meh". More detail can by found here (17 min.): How to check RIAA EQ Accuracy of a Phono Stage - YouTube