Electric Cars Not Doing Well in Extreme Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
A buddy and i i drove our bikes down to Laguna Seca to see Kenny Roberts race, then headed south. We made it as far as the PS Audio factory in Santa Maria, then set off to go further south… bvut when we saw that grey cloud we turned left and intot eh Seirra Nevadas.

dave

When? The air has been clean since the late 90s.

Maybe you confused fog with smog? The marine layer across the entire coast, particularly when you get down towards Santa Barbara, and further South, is very thick.

A "Cat Cracker" is a Gasoline making unit in an Oil refinery - the formal nomenclature is an FCC Unit - Fluidized Catalytic Cracking Unit

Yup...but will the air quality ever be clean enough? I think so....

Well that's what it was known as in da hood... I don't know why. And I don't know what they made there, don't remember the name of the company but I think the word "catalyst" was in the name. It was closed by 1975 I think. It didn't belong in a semi-residential area. It probably wasn't the best fumes to inhale every day for the first 18 years of your life.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was there

:^)

One of the most memorable races was Eddie Lawson in the Superbike race. On the first corner he leaned it over enuff that he scraped a hole in the side cover and despite leaking oil the whole way did REALLY well.

Except for the whole venturing into the land of the AR15 i would really like to see what Laguna Seca looks like now.

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
clip the apex

Reminds me of that trip to Laguna Seca. There is 21 miles that winds around a couple mountains going fromk 101 to 1. A spectacular piece of road. We enjoyed it so much we drove all the way across the srtate from where we came out of the Seirra Nevadas so we could do it again the other way.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.37.32.png

dave

Was doing Ionics for semiconductor production and fuel refineries.

Working on RO filters for fuel refineries was a horrible day.
Awful smell , made your stomach roll over.

Give my regards to anyone that had to grow up next to one.
Just one day is bad enough.

Far as tracks I grew up near Baylands Raceway and San Jose Speedway.
So as fire safety volunteer, or as just a fan.
Drag racing and Sprint Cars was my main exposure.
Towards the 90's there was a big jump in frame design for
Sprints. Exciting time indeed

Joined 2010
Paid Member

dave

Dave... that's like eons ago.... we've come a long way since.

The days of me going to work on the 405 north and seeing the brown layer over LA ( the Coast was always clear ) are looong gone.

BTW, in '81 I was working in Vandenberg.... we didn't have smog up there... just thick fog in the summer. (Santa Ynez Valley).. I still think what you were seeing on the 101 was the marine layer ( fog ). The smog only hit when you got further away South of Camarillo Brillo, more like 10 miles South of Lost Hills as you got to the Western end of the (*) Valley.

(*) That's like San Fernando to you... like gag me with a spoon, you know?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Was doing Ionics for semiconductor production and fuel refineries.

Working on RO filters for fuel refineries was a horrible day.
Awful smell , made your stomach roll over.

Give my regards to anyone that had to grow up next to one.
Just one day is bad enough.

Far as tracks I grew up near Baylands Raceway and San Jose Speedway.
So as fire safety volunteer, or as just a fan.
Drag racing and Sprint Cars was my main exposure.
Towards the 90's there was a big jump in frame design for
Sprints. Exciting time indeed

Honestly... you have no clue about bad smell.

I spent four years dealing with The Tacoma Aroma...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Reminds me of that trip to Laguna Seca. There is 21 miles that winds around a couple mountains going fromk 101 to 1. A spectacular piece of road. We enjoyed it so much we drove all the way across the srtate from where we came out of the Seirra Nevadas so we could do it again the other way.

View attachment 1265034

dave

Hehe... we drove those roads on two summer vacations... in our Honda Odyssey Type R (*)

You could take that thing to the limit, throw the chassis into a nice four wheel drift that was controllable with the loud pedal. The Damn thing cornered flat and fast. ( Yes, we had the transmission replaced at 25K miles... ).

I had my kids trained to "LEAN to the RIGHT!"...

(*) Take an '02 240bhp/AT5 Odyssey EX-L, white, put some big *** Bridgestone sport tires, take an OEM (MUST be OEM) Integra Type R sticker, use an Exacto knife accordingly and then christen your OTR. The OEM sticker adds 100bhp, the tires transform the vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was always facinated by this process.

When fusion comes and energy becomes abundant and cheap, i imagine industrial scale spectrometer like devices to “mine & refine” elements from thingsd like landfills. Create a plasma and then spearate the elements by their mass.

dave

No need for fusion. IMHO, it will just come down to a tiny antenna that grabs the power from all around us.

Think Nick Tesla.

Ahh yeah, the Reverse Osmosis water treater filters....
1706307893725.png
Massive amount of heat at a fuel refinery. Depending what gas heavy or light.
Final process requires accurate temperature changes. And overall operation requires cooling.
So they have massive
water cooling towers to control so much heat. Water is pumped high and falls
also has forced air.
Water is constantly circulated through a RO to remove minerals.
Otherwise mineral scaling and build up in the water towers
would be a problem, massive maintenance to clean.

When on actual refinery property, exposure is limited.
So much toxic gases, cause brain damage / death.
So the smell of Sulphur and light head you get doing
exposed maintenance. Is not very fun.
Dont miss it.

For semiconductors, RO stage is very early stage for larger mineral
removal. Many many more stages to produce ultra pure water.
Ultra pure water is non conductive. Depending on wafer traces
being so so close together. A tiny tiny piece off mineral could
short multiple traces in wafer production. Once ultra pure it also needs
constant circulation and filters. Water will absorb mineral/ organics very quickly.

Last edited:
I just retired from teaching upper level electrical engineering courses at a well-known university; electrical power generation and distribution was my favorite course. There is some brutal reality that must be faced if electric automobiles are to become the dominant mode of personal transportation. The total energy consumption per year in the US is approximately 100 Quads, A quad is a quadrillion BTU's so our total energy input is about 29x10^12 KWH. (That's 29 trillion) About 27quads is consumed by transportation, and of that about 54% or 15 quads is consumed by automobiles and other light vehicles. Of the total transportation budget only 0.02 quads is currently supplied via electricity, which still needs energy input to be generated. Of the 100 quads, about 37 quads goes in to electricity generation, and that yields about 13 quads of usable electrical energy. Of the 37 quads going in, 1.9 quads enters as solar and 3.8 quads enters as wind. or a total of about 5.7 % of the total energy used to generate electricity. This means that we will need to more than double our current production of electricity, and if we are to deal with a total energy input for electricity going from 37 quads to about 80 quads, then generation from wind and solar will need to increase about 40 times it's current rate, if we are to do so in a renewable fashion.
Another bit of hyperbole surrounds the battery issue. Here is an example : a manufacturer of automobiles recently announced that they are nearing production of a battery that will hold 300 KWH of energy, and can be recharged in 10 minutes. Sounds great - but when you run the math, to actually do that would require a power source that can deliver 1.8 megawatts! What voltages and wire size would be needed to deliver that power to a car? it also means that even modest size service stations would require their own substation.
This is not to say that we should abandon the idea of electrifying our transportation system. There are plenty of pollutants that come out of the tailpipe, regardless of the impact of CO2, and we need to deal with it. However, we cannot do that effectively without understanding the magnitude of the problem.
My numbers come from a report by Lawrence Livermore National Labs, a picture is attached. Other info is from https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/transportation-fuels.
Now to tie this all to audio, I think it is important that we do our part and use the most efficient possible speakers.(TIC)

US Energy 2022.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.