DVI or Component to VGA Converting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a my projector using a NEC 15" LCD computer monitor. But all I can do is hook to a computer. Being able to hook it to a HD receiver would really be nice. How-ever converting TV signals into VGA looks costly and difficult. Anyone out there know if something like those VGA to DVI converting blocks would work in reverse? Most computers (Dell for sure), their video cards output a in VGA format, and they use a small connector adapter block to convert to their DVI monitors. Could this work in reverse? DVI to VGA. Most HD satellite and coax TV providers have DVI on the back of the HD boxes, so maybe? Or better yet, from RGB to VGA???

I think those connector blocks only work because the video card knows how to generate the digital DVI signals.

There are progressive scan DVD players out there that have VGA outputs. I forget the brand, but it was about $50 and the case is low profile and all plastic.

You can get HDTV and satellite (DVB-S) tuners for PCs that should get you HDTV if your PC has enough speed.

Yeah within time I will have a Media Server for the OHP, and i can just get a DVD player/burner now-a-days for little under $75/USD. But when it comes to HD TV, everything i've seen can only do HD via open air antenna, nothing that can take HD satellite or HD cable TV, i heard b/c of the FCC rules or something. These tuners you speak of, where does one get one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.