Driver for Array? Visaton SC4.6FL 1.6" x 2.4" Full-Range Speaker

Has anyone used this driver for anything, Visaton SC4.6FL 1.6" x 2.4" Full-Range Speaker?
It appears to have a great frequency response and might be good as a driver for arrays. The downside is the power handling is only 5 watts. I don’t see that as an issue if 24 of them were used in a tower. $12.14 each!

sc4.6fl_8_180815_1.JPG

sc4_6fl_8_fs_180706.gif

Here is a link to PE, but I’m sure you can find these elsewhere. https://www.parts-express.com/Visat...le-Full-Range-Driver-8-Ohm-292-658?quantity=1

Reactions: 1 user
I love line arrays--especially my CBT full range arrays. Alternatives to these Visaton units are many but I like the SB Acoustic line for two small models. I used the SB65WBC25-4 2.5" full range units for my Modified CBT24 project. The SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" unit is cheaper then the SB65 unit. These are 4 ohms impedance drivers but superior specs to the Visaton model. Price reduction of 10% for 50 or 60 from Madisound.

My Modified CBT project is reported at:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/my-new-line-array-its-a-modified-cbt24.313352/

and my Near Field Line Array white paper is:

https://audioroundtable.com/ArraySpeakers/messages/2226.html

Good luck on your project.

Jim

from PartsExpress

https://www.parts-express.com/Visat...le-Full-Range-Driver-8-Ohm-292-658?quantity=1

"1 Review
Rated 4 out of 5
Decent speakers for their diminutive size.
For their size they are pretty good. My review is analyzing them with their very thin form factor in mind, not comparing them to full size speakers. These speakers do great only in certain areas and frequencies. By that I mean, I have listened to songs on these and only these speakers and have never heard the tiny details (that become super present). It does higher end frequencies extremely well (10k-20k). It does pick up some mid bass (only mid bass and higher end bass, I'd say above 85 Hz +). Some things sound great like acoustic guitar, voices, piano, violin etc. Voices and instruments are crystal clear.

Other things sound weird or off. For example, electric guitars sounded off and anything that requires more bass. I think if you use these speakers in conjunction with other speakers they'd do amazingly well. You don't need tweeters with these or these could easily act as tweeters, esp. with a cross over.

If you have room I'd go with a more traditional speaker. If you are limited on space, these could easily work. If you primarily use these for voice or instruments on the higher end of the frequency range you will be happy. "

I think you are correct with vertical mounting. Not having an actual driver in front of me, this driver may have slightly different dispersion between its horizontal and vertical planes. It may have less dispersion in the vertical direction while exhibiting wider horizontal coverage much like a planar driver or a slot driver.

My main issues with this driver is its power handling, its low sensitivity (80 dB) and its 10 dB roll off below 200 Hz down to 100 Hz. Also I have questions on how to mount this driver to a baffle. You have only a small lip edge to inset the body of it into the baffle.

The SB10 driver I suggested earlier would be a better performer and more straight forward to assemble on the baffle.

With a CBT array design you would need fewer drivers (say 16 to 18 units per side) and not need floor to ceiling length as with a straight line array.

Last edited:
Ignoring impedance risks shorting out your amplifier. Not many amps survive with less than a 1 ohm (0.25 ohm for parallel connection of 32 8 ohm drivers) load.

Well designed arrays with parallel and series connections allow a proper impedance level for your amp.

Last edited:
I love line arrays--especially my CBT full range arrays. Alternatives to these Visaton units are many but I like the SB Acoustic line for two small models. I used the SB65WBC25-4 2.5" full range units for my Modified CBT24 project. The SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" unit is cheaper then the SB65 unit. These are 4 ohms impedance drivers but superior specs to the Visaton model. Price reduction of 10% for 50 or 60 from Madisound.

My Modified CBT project is reported at:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/my-new-line-array-its-a-modified-cbt24.313352/

and my Near Field Line Array white paper is:

https://audioroundtable.com/ArraySpeakers/messages/2226.html

Good luck on your project.

Jim
I agree the SB65 is superior, but you ignored the most important specification, $. The SB65WBC25 is $37 the SC4.6FL is $12. 3 to 1. Also, the SC4.6FL has a flat cone, a flat response, and supposedly has good dispersion.

Anyway, I think the cheep little speaker has potential especially for those without much money to spend on experiments.

I think your 16 per side is a great idea for an experiment. I simply have too much going on right now to start another project.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ignoring impedance risks shorting out your amplifier.

By ignoring impedance, i mean the way you choose to wire the drivers. The target is something the amplifier will be happy with.

One only gets back to the same impedance as a single driver you need a number that is the square of something. If you do not you end up with more or less impedance and that affects sensitivity.

dave

Arthur,

I reported in the second message of this thread on my Modified CBT24 project which uses the SB Acoustics SB65 driver but I suggested a lower cost driver for your project. The SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3" costs $17.70 for individual drivers but Madisound pricing for 10-59 units is 10% lower. My point is that this driver offers vastly superior performance vs the Visaton driver at a price different of about $4 more per driver.

If you get serious about a new line array, I'll gladly give you my suggestions.

Jim

The difference in price is $5.56. If I were to buy 72 (36 per side) like planet10 said, it‘s a $400 difference. Subtract 10%, it’s still a lot. It’s not a deal breaker though, and I like your comment.

Actually, I don’t care about price as much as would the driver work well in an array? I think it’s an interesting driver with it’s long skinny voice coil and flat diaphragm. You don’t see many speakers with that design.

I’m very interested in building a line array of one sort or other, and I’ve read your paper, thanks for that! Currently, I don’t have the time to put into it. Maybe in a year or so. Right now I just thinking, hmmm…. Maybe that would work?