DIY brain fade

Anyway. To nudge the thread towards the original topic: I find that I tend to get stuck in a rut if I work on the same circuit for a long time. I often find that I'll draw inspiration from unlikely sources.

Me too. I have a circuit I started over two years ago. I've tried several iterations of it but have not produced satisfactory results. So it's been hanging over my workbench for over a year (a pretty busy year for me but still) and I still want to give it a go.

But now I'm building a pair of speakers. I'm actually making slow progress with that; I do something with it every week but obviously I need help with something like that. I was going to work on it this week but I got whacked with a terrible upper respiratory infection that still has me in a weakened state. I didn't exercise this week either (bad start to a new year!) but hope to start back tomorrow. It's real winter now with cold temps and finally some snow cover; in fact it's snowed every day for the last 3-4 days and is supposed to snow every day for the whole week. That's the Chicago winter I know.

It's all really just to keep me going at this point, so no biggie. I don't want to be one of those seniors that just stares into space all day.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I find variety is the key. I keep plenty on the go, spend time on what I want to, do it with gusto and if I hit problems, step back, do something else and return to the problem refreshed a few days or weeks later. But of course it's for my own entertainment, so I get to pick and choose what, when and where. +1 for retirement.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Once i was told when you try to hard to find where it is stored it won't pop up so just relax. It could be that being younger this won't happen.
Once i was telling a story to s co Worker how the artist Moby got his name. Only cycling on the way back home Herman Melville popped up. But my co worker never heard about Moby Dick so no need to worry that much.
Greetings Eduard

Yes I get that-often with movie and TV stars. I also have to make a shopping list or I'll come home with some items missing.

I noticed a friend of the same age has the same issue.

It's normal and only time to worry when you can't remember where you were driving to or how to get home.....

Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can be embarrassing if talking to someone and you go quiet for a few seconds trying to remember a name.
I've had that for as long as I can remember. Names is just not something I remember. I'll never forget a face, though. I also remember that the maximum collector current for a BC547 is 100 mA. You know... Useful stuff. :)

Tom

Reactions: 3 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
If you heard about the Canterbury tales and later you realized that Procal harum thought about it when writing their famous song it is not bad. Many things you can forget and still enjoy life if you encounter some teenagers today you will know you can forget a lot and still have a broader view on art.
Greetings Eduard

For about 10 years, I have rebuilt many Carver C-9 units. One really good point about the rebuild is that everything is easily accessible and so a rebuild can happen quicker and easier. I have done many variations by using different parts and to a small degree changed the circuit. More accurately, I have rebuilt the unit to someone else's circuit changes. The point of course is that I do get tired of the same old thing even if results are worth it. My distraction was to seek out other projects that were simple in nature but that have a significant effect. Buffer amps, headphone amps and so forth gave me some new insight into other electronics. I do not have that much electrical knowledge, but I am an imaginative builder. It is the imagination that keep s me going. That question, 'what if' is invaluable.

Attachments

• PASSIVE PRE (1).JPG
    PASSIVE PRE (1).JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 31
Same with reality TV ... or as a friend of mine calls it, junk food for the brain.
Same with youtube, which, sadly, I'm watching far too much of this winter. So many offerings which are just all filler, so someone can get to some content time minimum - or a way to make any content at all. And the music. Why would they mix the background music louder than the narrator? Oh, I get it, because the narrator isnt really saying anything, so maybe you're supposed to just listen to the music, watch the loosely associated pictures go by - and drool.

Mm-hm. Not only youtube; I recall reading a podcast transcript which was so full of fluff I started skimming by reading the first few words of every paragraph: "he's talking about being nine years old, skip, ten years old, skip, gossiping about someone, skip, FINALLY the subject of the title" -- which was, no word of a lie, halfway down a very long page.

As for youtube, I tried watching it with ads once when I used Chrome instead of Firefox (hint: Chrome sabotages adblockers). It was an appalling experience. Three minutes into an electronic music concert the artist was just getting going BUY OUR PIZZAS YOU SLUG GIVE US YOUR MONEY BUY BUY BUY BUYYYYY!!!! Firefox + uBlock Origin equals no intrusive ads and possible malware, at least by rumour because youtube is no longer on my viewing list. AlphaGoo can ** ********* ** ******* ** ***********.

Last edited:
That is one of my biggest problems... trying to think as others intend me to
Being on the Autistic spectrum (Aspergers mainly) no way does my brain work like others.

Mostly it works better! (they say that analysts and problem solvers are often in my club as this seems to be one side effect of the condition).

I also have a problem typing with some words being wrong eg 'to' when I mean 'of'' and others eg chnage, being misspelt everytime. I refuse to be a slave to spell checkers.

I was watching this guy on YT talk about harvesting Turkey Tail mushrooms and even in a subject as innocuous as that, oh, the background music had to be just 3 db down from what the guy was saying - through the whole piece. I was looking for the music track off switch in the options...

Slowly rotating still pictures, slowly panning perspectives - the inevitable loud music track - you have to throw everything but the kitchen sink in there to somehow mesmerize the viewer, as if the longer you can steal someone's attention with such glitter, the more brownie points or something. I'm pretty sure the root cause of this ideography fashion is tied somehow to money...

I'm not mesmerized. I want to hear what you're saying and if I cant, or if my brain has to strongly filter through the attendant noise you put in there - off you go! I can imagine someone making a video about "do capacitors matter in audio" with the 1812 Overture blasting away through the whole piece, pictures of branded capacitor DUTs have to be slowly rotating, a slow left to right pan of an oscilloscope on the bench with a sine wave on it, speaker cones thumping in slo-mo; all the standard visual BS.

Maybe they'll start doing that in audio recordings too; make it so everything has to have the inevitable "sounds like someone slowly walking around the periphery of the band / orchestra holding two microphones" effect. Anything but a simple, static sonic perspective. There - that'll hold their attention, if we cant do it with actual talent!

There is a Autistic / Aspergers hearing defect which seems to only recently have started receiving publicity.
I first noticed it as a student when a group of us went to a noisy pub and I was the only one who seemed to have hearing problem.
I just couldn't make out what the others were saying even when they were less than a metre away.

It turns out that making out speech when there's alot of background noise is the symptom.

I find this happening with some streaming services, Netflix in particular, where the dialogue volume is too low for me.
I now use BT headphones (the excellent Sony WH 1000XM5) for action movies.