Digikey poor customer service

Anyone else had issues with Digikey when it comes to a problem with an order?

Over 10 days ago I received 6 On-semi transistors, 4 of them had bent pins ( even though they were in their original packaging) , that’s not such a big deal but when testing the transistors they’re all out of spec with hfe readings of over 83 ( they should be between 15 to 60 )
I contacted Digikey’s customer service who asked for photos of the damage and the test results ( more photos) , that was 8 days ago , I contacted them again 2 days ago and they claim to have not heard from me since asking for the photos ( I then sent them a screenshot of the sent email) again I’ve heard nothing back .

Up until this I thought their service was excellent and last night I checked out some reviews online and I was quite surprised at the amount of negative reviews.

Looks like Mouser will be getting any future orders from me as they have always been excellent, even when I had an issue.

I've had only good experience with Digikey customer service. However, I have had two orders now (out of 6 perhaps) where they sent the wrong parts. They fixed the issue, but should not be making these sorts of errors for a well regarded company. One order they mixed up was sending me 50qty crystal oscillator SMDs instead of 10qty RCA inputs. That's a bad mix up to miss.

I will say, when an error is pointed out, it may take them a little time to investigate what happened. It probably does help me that I can call them and talk to a real person with a legit Minnesota accent 😉. Calling from out of country could be expensive for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that they want to help fix the order. I chatted with a person on the phone and they understood my frustration with their mistake. They ended up sending me the correct parts free of charge as they should. They even told me to just keep those 50qty SMD oscillators as it wasn't worth their time to pay to have them shipped back. At the very least, letting them know that they made an error should drive them to work on quality control. If you need someone who speaks "Minnesota Nice" to call them up, I'm your guy ;) Maybe they are a little distracted by the warmer weather now that it's spring in the "great white north". I think it was a pretty cold winter up there so a little springtime sunshine and warmth can be very distracting.

Good luck @TheFinisher, I have hope they will fix the issue if given enough information and time. Mouser and Digikey are my top "go-to suppliers" because they have really good reputations. Both have been good quality suppliers of parts in my experience and do have good customer support.

Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Of Mouser and Digikey I actually prefer Digikey but end up spending more money with Mouser because of their prices. I do love that I can place a Digikey order well into the evening (7-8pm Mountain) and have it show up by 10.30AM the next morning. With Mouser the cutoff is more like 5pm.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users