• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Dealing with very low impedance speaker combo

Hi all,

So first of all, this is my first post on the forum after its migration to a web "friendly" look.
I must say i was lost for a while , because i kept clicking on my DIYAudio/AKSA link and found it broken ... i hope not many users were distracted like i was :)

Second, i wanted to share a question , and i hope i dont get too "bullied" as i know that what i am doing is "heresy" !

I have my GK1-LifeForce combo amp running smoothly, just changed the original 10 year old tubes for a brand new pair of E88CC Genalex G.L.
I was feeding a pair of Sonus Faber 4 ohm speakers, and decided i wanted more bass, so i gave a pair of JBL L100 a shot, which are 8 ohm speaker load.
Although i find pros and cons on both, what i am really liking to hear , is BOTH connected at the same time !

So i have a nominal 4 + 8 ohm speaker load on each of the LF100 channel, roughly giving the amp about 2.6 ohms ( nominal ).
I find this in danger zone, although i do not hear any problems. These speakers probably deep down to half its nominal value somewhere in the 50-200 Hz so the amp would be seeing dips of 1 ohm or less...

So....what "signs" should i look for to check if my LF100 is safe or not ? Too Hot ? Distorted sound?

Solution : Should i place a 4 ohm 100W resistor in series with the speakers, so i would raise the nominal speaker impedance from 1 to 5 ohm ? What's the downside on this sound wise?

Again....dont beat me up....i just like the sound of all 4 in my tiny studio !
SAF

I ran my AKSA and Lifeforce with speakers that dipped to around 3R5 and had no issues but I wouldn't go lower. I'm sure Hugh would chip in with some advice but you could maybe wire them in series as I've done previously with centre HT speakers. Have less power but would be safer and you mentioned they are in a tiny studio.

Yes i know i must be drawing a lot of current from the amp when my volume pot doesn't go pass 10%....and that's loud !
Still....most of the heat comes naturally from the GK-1 and its tubes....the Lifeforce itself gets barelly warm...

Series connection could be a possibility ...