Can I convert this balanced 4.4mm amp into unbalanced 3.5

Hello. I’m new to messing around in this space but not new to computer engineering and software engineering.

I have a cheap Chinese amp. Was supposed to be 3.5 to 3.5. What was sent was balanced 4.4!

Can I convert from balanced to unbalanced. I am decent with a soldering iron and not afraid of giving it a shot. I wouldn’t mind modding the jacks and making custom cables. Might save time!?

Replace terminals.
Replace low signal relay?
Change opamp configuration?
Stay with 5532D opamps?
Throw in round filing cabinet and find something else?

Thanks for suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Hope I'm right but I think it might be as simple as removing two negative phase op-amps. then shorting the empty sockets outputs to ground, you will need to hit the datasheets to see which pins. the ones to remove are the negative phase drivers, these two need to converted to Gnd, leaving you with a pos/gnd to each phone cup.

Is there two output jacks? - Do your phones have a single lead to one side or two separate leads connected by a single jack plug?

Ah, actually one of those front sockets is the input right? Give link to item you purchased please and which headphone you are using.

Each side of your headphone needs to see a signal and ground, if they have a single cable to one cup then there are just three wires inside (both cups connected to a single Gnd connection) The Headphones themselves do not know what they are connected to really. Get a multi meter and do a continuity test between the op-amp output pins and the output jack top plates you see there.

This is the configuration of a 4.4mm TRRRS connector here, the L+ & L- need to be converted to ground. So find the op-amps connected to tip and first ring. (two plates at rear of socket if you see)

BAL_JACK.jpeg

You could of course do a very dirty wiring job and solder a single ended socket hanging out the amp to connect whatever jack socket you wish, this might be a way to determine how to proceed. Might be best to solder the signal wires to the positive op-amp output pins on the underside if you try this. Guaranteed way to get confused!

Bloody awkward one especially as everything is PCB mounted. Take your time, have a coffee and study the pin orientation in the datasheets. This can be done but maybe not very neatly.

China is on holiday until the 17th, so complaints will not be answered for a while. I imagine they might send replacement?

Last edited:
These will be the negative connections, assuming this socket is output

amp.jpg

Sorry, the other part of your question - you then need to make or buy a 4.4 TRRRS jack plug to 3.5mm un balanced socket adapter.
Hit google with '4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter' to get an idea. Actually maybe this is all you need to do and I have written an essay for nothing ;)
At least you will have learned something (y)
I'll have a coffee...

Last edited:
@passive420
“These will be the negative connections, assuming this socket is output”
Would this be the same for input? Just making sure. Making cables now.
Building a somewhat antiquated portable source/dac/amp for hifiman planers (he4xx) as well as thru thread hexas. Just playing around until I can build something for my desk and better cans.
Ps he4xx with screens and mesh off completely exposed are pretty awesome

@TK- Yes my friend, the same configuration. Use your multi meter lots to double check continuity between the connector poles. I looked at the listing you posted and see I marked the input, not output, but no matter in this case, they are the same TRRRS type jack plug. The worst that could happen is a crappy sound or no sound at all, nothing will blow up.

Is your input source a phone with 3.5mm?

It's a very neat little amp, bet it sounds nice. Lots of opportunity to swap out op-amps to change sound should you need to experiment. The installed op-amps are quite generic but I imagine perform very well if the circuit around them is a solid design.

The 400's are great, I once had the HE500's, still up there with the best sound I have heard, unfortunately so heavy and uncomfortable for a long listen, they needed ZMF ear and headband pads to get the best.

Custom Cans here in the UK have a few tweaks for the HE400 series, they can definitely be improved with some mods, It's all about airflow. look for him on Youtube as well -
https://customcans.co.uk/shop/produ...y-deeper-punchier-bass-and-wider-sound-stage/

When you are ready, build the 'Whammy' amp found here on the forum, Highly recommended as a starter project, also consider the very simple Noir amp found in the DIYA shop. Then when your teeth are sharper, build a Dynalo (y)

This is it now, no turning back. We have you... ;)

Last edited:
Hahhahha, yup, I’m already hooked. This is amazing info. Thank you so much!!
This iteration is iPhone 5s-> fiio q1mkii -> amp! Again, probably a silly setup, but just wanted to have something to move around the house all day(I work from home as software developer).
Now I’m looking at your suggestions and totally into it.

Can you suggest better opamps to try in this rig?
Best
Tk

Good man, this hobby will not save you money but talk about brain training, every day is a school day here. You will not understand half of the language the real engineers use on the forum but some of it goes in. The brain power here is astonishing. Headphone amps are a good place to start, smaller consequences.

Your setup is perfectly sound, Iphones have very good audio output and Fiio seem to be killing it right now.

OPA1612 & OPA1642 are good ones to try, highly regarded by pro's and the industry. The technical specs of these are very good. You find them in lots of the high quality Chinese DACs. Their performance is proven and not too expensive and generally forgiving of any application.
OPA1612 are BJT (bi-polar) input and OPA1642 are Jfet input, that won't mean much to you right now but essentially different topologies give a slightly different effect, your ears, headphones and specific circuit will choose the best one.

The Muses range are also all high quality op-amps, I really liked the 8820E which is BJT type.

Should mention, I realise the op-amps I recommended are all SMD it seems, get in touch if you want some built up on adapters to plug straight in, I'll happily do it for you and send them.

Or, for a price, Brown Dog make the very best adapters and will mount any op-amp you like to them (you want dual channel type) - https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/browndog-970601-so8-to-dip8-adapter

There are the hand made 'Discreet' very high end types such as Sparkos labs, NewClassD and Sonic ImageryLabs to name a few, silly money, however you may love them. These will not fit into your little amp but you may want to try them in the future when you have completely signed your sanity and soul to the devil...

Remember to hug the wife now and then, otherwise she will think you are having an affair... which you are kind of ;)

Last edited: