Building a digital stethoscope

Hi,
I am trying to buildt a custom contact mic using https://www.richardmudhar.com/piezo-contact-microphone-hi-z-amplifier-low-noise-version/ (circuit picture below)
1710497909253.png

I want to record frequencies in range if 5-20 Hz. I simulated the circuit in ltspice and found better frequency response at the lower frequencies by replacing C1 by 100uF capacitor.
Frequency response:
1710498120869.png

I am looking for comments and suggestions for this change also can anyone suggest a suitable amplification circuit for amplifying mainly the lower frequencies (after the pre amplification).
My objective is to convert the microphone output into digital signal and process it further

Last edited:
A useful comment might be that there's no way the piezo element is going to output much in 5 - 20 Hz. They use those as tweeters; ever see a piezo based woofer? Did you see the frequencies the fellow on that website was describing? I thought I saw kHz...

A mechanics steth, you could connect the hose to an ordinary, abundant electret mic which would have a far better chance of making signal at those frequencies. The compliance of the steth membrane would be more dominant; if it's not floppy, how's it going to move at 5? I'm pretty sure the hose length wouldnt be much of a factor at 20.

When I worked at Amzn, I thought I was going to be smart and design something that could listen to bearings in conveyors - but they had already purchased a professional setup for that.

A further suggestion for a direct contract pickup might be a "exciter" speaker (Dayton Audio) used in reverse. I'm pretty sure 5 - 20 would be below the resonant frequency of one of those. Still, I'd bet it would make signal in that range better than a piezo.

Piezo elements convert strain into charge movement (and vice versa), so you need to convert the sound to strain of the element efficiently at the frequencies of interest, which is a problem in acoustics. Piezo elements work down close to DC as witnessed by piezo gas lighters where a large DC strain generates many kV leading to a spark.

A useful comment might be that there's no way the piezo element is going to output much in 5 - 20 Hz. They use those as tweeters; ever see a piezo based woofer? Did you see the frequencies the fellow on that website was describing? I thought I saw kHz...

A mechanics steth, you could connect the hose to an ordinary, abundant electret mic which would have a far better chance of making signal at those frequencies. The compliance of the steth membrane would be more dominant; if it's not floppy, how's it going to move at 5? I'm pretty sure the hose length wouldnt be much of a factor at 20.

When I worked at Amzn, I thought I was going to be smart and design something that could listen to bearings in conveyors - but they had already purchased a professional setup for that.

A further suggestion for a direct contract pickup might be a "exciter" speaker (Dayton Audio) used in reverse. I'm pretty sure 5 - 20 would be below the resonant frequency of one of those. Still, I'd bet it would make signal in that range better than a piezo.
I see. It is true that the piezeo element outputs very less signal. I will investigate further how woofers are made/designed. Although my objective is not to output but rather to input from a contact piezoeeletric microphone.

You may want to investigate FET opamp amplifiers. With a piezo source, you are forced to use large resistance in your design and so you need amps with low current noise.
I see but the open loop frequency response of the FET OPAMP starts from higher frequencies such as 1Khz. I want to be able to use the op amp at frequencies as low as 5 Hz. I am a beginner so let me know if i am making a mistake.