Beast Mini

So I am listening to a podcast with pa that dropped 11 days ago. (Link) Apparently pa is working on a J113 version of the mythical beast. 256 Jfets. :nod: Looks like the worldwide stock of J113 might drop a bit! If this is being discussed elsewhere, let me know!

Hey pa, if you need anyone for prototyping and testing, ill take the bullet. :rofl:

Best,
Jose

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I see some disadvantages:
The diameters add up enormously, so that the definition of the current (ergo signal) decreases. The diameters of the solder joints are horrendous - and undefined.
Connecting hundreds of parts in parallel, I mean the practical layout so that these components sit on ONE circuit, is tricky. But feasible. Unfortunately, most don't know about circuits and layout.
But even then, the accumulated deviations are in an audible range: grayer, flatter, more colorless, less clean.
A large circuit board is a huge resonating sail, which would also affect the sound - its material too. However, this could be countered a bit with damping, clamping and tuning using different materials and shapes.
And certainly more)-;

Resonating sail? Well, its most probably not that simple. Because with that logic small all in one IC-amps would have a sound far superiour to fully discrete, big amp circuits.

But they are not.🙂
Small all in one IC amps have the far greater sonic potential than the large ones mentioned. You need more experience with loudspeakers, sources and placement in order to exploit this potential;-)

proof is in Da Pooding

If I make one, it'll certainly sound as drek

If Pa made it, I'm sure he's not letting anything out without sounding fun and nice
Bablefish with at least 256 mini autoformers, and the same amount of green leds.

I am also reserving judgement until I hear it. Just to good of a DIY project not to.

Also RIP to Roger! I know he was the inspiration for the name, and pa’s favorite director.

I see some disadvantages:
The diameters add up enormously, so that the definition of the current (ergo signal) decreases. The diameters of the solder joints are horrendous - and undefined.
Connecting hundreds of parts in parallel, I mean the practical layout so that these components sit on ONE circuit, is tricky. But feasible. Unfortunately, most don't know about circuits and layout.
But even then, the accumulated deviations are in an audible range: grayer, flatter, more colorless, less clean.
A large circuit board is a huge resonating sail, which would also affect the sound - its material too. However, this could be countered a bit with damping, clamping and tuning using different materials and shapes.
And certainly more)-;
Hahaha!
This reminds me of the highly opinionated, really inflammatory and useless discussions on FB.
You are in the wrong forum mate.

Reactions: 1 users
;)
Not a single argument regarding diy-audio;-)
"You are in the wrong forum mate."

I have a beginner's exercise based on some arguments:
Speakers have an image size. Different speakers have different image sizes.
The majority of stereo signals are found on both channels, i.e. "mono".
If speakers are placed too far apart, the sound image is torn apart.
I recommend placing your speakers about 50 cm (center-center) apart and listening for a while. Then at some point place the speakers 60 cm apart. Then at some point 70 cm. And so on, until the sound image torn apart... Don't forget to move speakers back until they play together again now;-)
With compact speakers, this distance is far less than one meter, with really large floorstanding speakers very rarely more than 1.5 meters.
A tip referring DO it yourself AUDIO forum;-)