Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hello all

I would like to request some assistance from this very experienced forum regarding the Amanero & Ian Canada's ReceiverPI DDC.

The proposed stack would be Amanero Combo384 / ReceiverPi DDC -> FiFoPiQ7 -> HDMIPiPro and this would then feed a Gustard R26. My intention is to be able to stream DSD256 to the R26 via HQPlayer. I would not be using a Raspberry PI in this set-up.

My question is this. Can the Amanero Combo384 accept DSD256 if I am connecting it to HQPlayer running on Ubuntu? The documentation for the Amanero Combo384 seems to indicate that it can only do DSD256 using the ASIO driver and this, in turn, means I would need to run HQPlayer on Windows rather than Ubuntu.

@iancanada - would you be able to advise please? Now that you are the official distributor of the Amanero in North America, I am hoping that you can clarify, please?

Total newbie here trying to stream the fifopi q7 into my Gustard r 26. Everything works well except I can't get the r26 to accept the fifopi's clocks since it always says ext err on the led screen. I get sound but must revert to the r26 clocks instead to eliminate the err. I've tried every imaginable setting option on both the r26 and thru the monitor controller on the streamer. Has anybody experienced the same issues?
Hello @elamar

What you are trying to do is not possible with the FiFoPI Q7 & the R26.

In order to use an external clock with the R26 you need to connect an external clock via the socket on the back of the R26 that is labelled "10Mhz In" (something like a Gustard C16 clock unit).

The R26 will not accept the I2S output from the FiFoPI Q7 / HDMIPiPro as an external clock signal.

The reason you get the "ext err" on the R26 is because you have no clock attached to the "10Mhz In" socket on the back of the R26.

Upgrading Gustard R26 sound quality by external re-clock streamer DDC and compared with a Holo Spring3 side-by-side
Hello @iancanada - thank you very much for your input on the R26 vs the Holo Spring using your DDC stack. This is really useful. I have a R26 and was considering replacing it with a Holo Spring - but now I think I will reconsider.

Couple of questions please:

1. What DSD did you stream to the R26? Was it DSD64, DSD128 or DSD256?
  2. Were you using HQPlayer for purposes of producing the DSD Stream?

Thanks

Total newbie here trying to stream the fifopi q7 into my Gustard r 26. Everything works well except I can't get the r26 to accept the fifopi's clocks since it always says ext err on the led screen. I get sound but must revert to the r26 clocks instead to eliminate the err. I've tried every imaginable setting option on both the r26 and thru the monitor controller on the streamer. Has anybody experienced the same issues?
@elamar

I think I know the reason of you issue now.
You could have set the REF CLOCK to EXT, however the EXT means the external 10MHz reference clock for PLL, not the clock from HDMI cable.

Solution: Please set the REF CLOCK to INT, the error message will be gone. And R26 will take clock from I2S/DSD over HDMI input, the internal PLL will be disabled.
Confirmed on my own R26.

Regards,
Ian

Reactions: 1 user