Are you a Dead Head?

Random GD @ BH recording preservation question. The one I have is from the soundboard. There's a section where the tape must have come off contact with the head, where a fan lovingly spliced in an audience recording; then back again when the soundboard recording came back on line. Do all GD @ BH 77 recordings do this? Or does someone somewhere have a second soundboard based...
yes, they all do b/c the flaw is on the soundboard master reel and there is no other sbd recording.
there's a version floating around with sbd spliced in from another show, but that is blasphemy.

btw, if you want to see an example of the obsessive compulsion that drives GD tape collectors you can look here:

https://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=1009

Reactions: 1 user
I had a great weekend set up in '80. An older "lady" coworker, she was 23, full time... I was an intern.

She had a shag van and a cute butt and invited me for a whole weekend out in Spokane with her... she had two tickets for a Dead Show... did I want to go with her?

I learned way back in the 1970s that chicks that dug the Dead were great in the sack, and easy to get there.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL, lucky you living there. Had I known about the parking lot thing I might have tried to attend more shows. The Dead and Company show in Boston in the summer (2023) suggested that many of those from the early shows were still at the VERY late shows at least in the parking lots...

I always thought the Dead were stupid.
Really! I remember a friend, actually able to play back when I could do nothing on any instrument - we were watching them on Carson or Letterman and he's going in amazement "Look! Look at what they're doing!". From my completely musically illiterate POV, I'm thinking "guess it sounds ok to me..."

I have to admit though a big part of my attraction was Jerry's technical side, as he used devices with his playing that I found enticing. The auto wah of course and his guitar synth work I found just so fascinating - and wanted to see if I could make something that would do that sound. Success on the auto-wah, not so much on the g-synth...

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Remember that they were technically trained and originally a folk band based on Americana.

Listen to "Old And In The Way"....

https://jerrygarcia.com/band/old-and-in-the-way/

If you like bluegrass, this is a "Can't Miss" recording. David Grisman, Vassar Clements.... seriously....

Anecdote... back in 93 I was at work, talking about records with a coworker that had thousands.... so I noted that I had the CD of Old And In The Way but I never got my hands on the LP. As it turns out, he said, he had "extra" copies and he gave me one... nice guy. So now I got the LP, CD and streams. Easily one of my top ten LPs in the 4000+ collection.

Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say
They used to heed the words he said, but that was yesterday
Gold will turn to gray and youth will fade away
They'll never care about you, call you old and in the way

Which is kinda funny.... when I go to family things, I'm now the 2nd oldest.... behind my aunt ( she's only 15 years older than me ). The young ones are now in the late 20s and getting married... so I'm sort of Grey and Old And In The Way... until it comes time to open up wallet... then I'm Santa Claus. :rolleyes: ;)

Then you got this....

What do you want me to do
To do for you, to see you through?
A box of rain will ease the pain
And love will see you through

Which when you think about it is simply beautiful....

As a rule of thumb, Dead Songs are stories... based on a country/folk tradition story telling... with exceptional music playing... and their vocal harmonies... wow....

Try doing a 1200 mile non stop road trip... play Dead music.... your mind, your car, the music, the Bott's Dots on the road, will all fall into a natural rhythm.... I usually will segue into Zappa half an hour before Numero Uno and Gasoline stops... then go back into Road Trip Drive mode for the next 450 miles...

Naturally, the one Road Trip where we came back from Reno over Donner Pass... as we were tooling back West...

I lit out from Reno, I was trailed by twenty hounds
Didn't get to sleep that night till the morning came around

OTOH, pulling into North Sacramento ( Williams I think ) for gas at 3:30AM

Well, right about that time, people
A fur-trapper who was strictly from commercial (strictly commercial)
Had the unmitigated audacity to jump up from behind my igloo (peek-a-boo)
And he started into whipping on my favorite baby seal
With a lead-filled snowshoe

Humor is important in life... just make sure to have a real poncho...

Is that a real poncho? I mean is that a Mexican poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

On that drive, up the Northbound 5, around 2:30AM somewhere between Stockton and Sacramento, my wife woke up and said, after 20+ years of marriage, "Oh, is that where you got that saying?"...... Well, at least she finally figured it out...

Last edited:
This girl I fell in love with in my sophomore year in college made me a tape with some of that "Old and In the Way" stuff on it. Of course, since then I've bought the CD. That was a thing, making a tape for someone. I guess now you'd get sent a "playlist", as the music recordings can be sourced wirelessly anywhere, anytime.

Jerry again. Prolific on electric guitar, banjo, pedal steel. Not enough time in a life for all 3; had to give up a couple along the way.

Which is kinda funny.... when I go to family things, I'm now the 2nd oldest.... behind my aunt ( she's only 15 years older than me ). The young ones are now in the late 20s and getting married...
There's a Rush song that's about that; "Time Stand Still". Actually looks to be within the realm of possibility for a mere mortal playability wise; I looked up the chords. Of course, the YT people can play it as good a Rush does themselves, while for me it'd be a rest of lifetime achievement, if the arthritis growing in my left hand doesnt get me first.

"If the thunder dont get ya then the lightning will" - Ar Ar.

"Old and In the Way" is awesome. It's kind of my theme song.

I made tapes for decades. Definitely a thing.

My main college girlfriend was a Deadhead. She threw me over for an unemployed dropout because she was sick of me being at class or work all the time, but not before living rent free in my house for years and smoking all my pot while I was at class or work. Plus I was an engineer aka "Baby Burner." No Deadhead can associate with such a low form of life.

This is the reason I don't really like the Dead any more. Good memories but one huge bad memory. I never fell in love ever again either. I was probably 22 years old.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "I never fell in love ever again either. I was probably 22 years old."

Well that must have sucked.. 22 was the beginning of a few years of being a Lounge Lizzard.. you know, with a degree, a job, a credit card and some money in my pocket. The New Wave Clubs and Punk Clubs in LA and OC were awesome... my Alfa Romeo has a plate that said GIGOLO... awesome times... girls, women, the repair shop for the Alfa... fun...

You should have studied Physics instead. It gives you a better fundamental attitude towards things... more flexible... not in yoga way of doing things... but in a way of dealing with things. The hippies got along with us just fine... mostly because we were miles above them even when coming down hard. :eek:

Nothing like wearing hush puppies, Levi's and Lacoste shirts into a Hollywood punk club... waltzing up to the bar, shooting down a boiler maker... instant respect man... and the cuties... ah yes.... Not like the long hair wanna bees at the Whiskey A Go Go...

I mean, how can you not love a band that used huge racks of McIntosh tube amps? I'm a big old fan - once saw them on three consecutive shows, Omaha, Minneapolis, Madison. Very nice. Saw them at the Hollywood bowl - was that 71? One favorite recording is the Barton Hall tape. Play it very loud. Have lots of speakers.
I got acquainted with them in the late 70s and took greater interest after reading a "Mix" magazine article on the system used for Dead Set. I was a young hifi fan and DIYer back then. I saw then about 6 times in the 80s and other than Pink Floyd they had the best sound and lights, years ahead of most bands. We saw them again June 2023 and about 10 years ago. Those shows were OK, sound and lights were good but the same as everyone now. I like the songs music and playing.

I don't consider myself a dead head but a fan, I'll won't play them for a few months but sometimes a few times a week depending on my mood.

I agree the current "picks" recordings need a bit more power. That's one of a million reasons I use JBL, AE, Ashly and Chevin gear.

I never explored the other ones but I like this one very much. First title makes me dream

Grateful_Dead_-_Live-Dead.jpg

Enjoyed Garcia playing in the film Zabriskie Point so searched for his music.

381.jpg