A strange idea for a bass trap?

Hi, I would be interested in what you think about such a bass trap.
In my opinion, most bass traps are rather bass slower than real traps.
So I thought it would be possible to lead the bass into a chamber so that it remains there as long as possible.
The "good" thing about the approach would be, in my opinion, that you could also use the large openings as a diffuser through stiffeners.
If I have a big mistake in thinking, please forgive me.

bass trap1.jpg

The red lines should represent insulation

Attachments

• bass trap1.jpg
    bass trap1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 63
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Making it slow down might not help since this type of absorption relies on movement.

I also notice that it has to go in and out, a double pass, which is good but it's the same as bouncing off a wall. When a wall is involved, the absorption should be away from the wall where it is moving. You don't want to stuff it somewhere the sound will become trapped.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems overly complicated and non-functional to me. Sound doesn’t get really reflected in the way your arrows point. Also, there are there widely accepted and well described ways of sound absorption: use of porous materials at spots the air movement (which is one dimension of sound) is big, use of sheet absorbers at spots pressure variation is big (the other dimension of sound) or use of (tuned) resonators. IOW your absorber probably works best if you remove the ‘chambers’ around the absorbing insulation. Or if you add some kind of tuned ports to these chambers. The latter gives best chances for a real bass trap if you tune them to the problematic regions of your room.

You're probably right. I just had this idea for a moment and wanted to throw it out there.
I am interested in having absorbers and diffusers in one.
I'm generally not a big fan of absorbers... or rather I think that too much ruins the sound rather than the reverberation time in the bass brings such a big advantage. but well, maybe I don't have such big problems with it in my room. However, I am of course interested in refining the sound more and more.
and since I don't have any big problems with the bass, it is probably more advisable to place the absorbers discreetly and in the corners of the room.
Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer.
All in all, DiYAudio is a really great and helpfull community.

I don't want it to sound like I haven't taken any acoustic measures yet.
I know it might be a bit offtopic, but a long time ago I built some of my own.
Maybe I'll do a tutorial on how I built mine. they turned out well, too. the Last pic ist wip and never finished
16908834332873370807944050732298.jpg

Attachments

• 1690883489290239367454352337181.jpg
    1690883489290239367454352337181.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 82
you mean Something Like this.
sorry for the German pic

a s
raumakustik-65-320.jpg

I read that they lose a lot of their effieciency if you don't do it right, and most of the time you don't do it right.
The plate must be suspended elastically and be the right size i guess
That's why I've never really tried it and why I've never dared to use helmholz resonators, too

maybe i should say that my room is rather narrow and i only had a lot of absorber surface on the back wall and that a few cm behind my ears and that sounded very unnatural in my opinion. therefore maybe my rather negative attitude towards too much surface absorption.
and isn't it the case that a lot of absorber surface that is not deep enough dampens the mid and high frequencies more than below 300 Hz?
That's why I would like to take the approach of having an absorber and diffuser in one.
I think the suggestion of plate or membrane oscillators is very good.
What I would also be interested in is the approach of I think the company is called rtfs, which are semicircular shapes that absorb on the one hand and on the other hand reflect the mid and high frequencies through the coating and make a diffuser.
However, I find it difficult to find information on how to realise such a coating in terms of material and material thickness.