A Lateral MOSFET Power Amplifier Design Version 1.1

I wanted the GND to first be filtered out by the capacitor, then by the decoupling capacitor before reaching D901 of the DC Servo.
This is the kind of stupidity that emerges when you edit your own text without proofreading carefully. lol

To explain further, I edited three times my comment above before this last version. Having my weird trace in mind, I wrote that "I wanted to filter the +/-15 VDC rails". But once observing my PCB traces, I realized that the weird trace wast the +/-15 VDC traces but the ground trace! You know the rest lol...

Having the output transistors in the same vertical line does not help in optimum utilization of the heat sink area! See if they can be staggered.
Agreed!
When I waked up this morning, I realized that all my arguments to stay with my approach are based on the fact that I still keep my first project mechanical limitation; the holes positions standard in the heat-sink, offered by Modushop.

But nothing force me to stick with these. In reality, I started my first project with them in the hope that in case if anyone could be interested to acquire my final PCB, they would have been compatible with their own Modushop heat-sink.

Also, my first frontier is always the big can that must be between two holes in a row. And this issue force me to keep them close to the PCB border, as close as I can with their respective transistors. And at some points I cannot respect that with the Power resistors present in the rail path.

So in my next iteration, I will erase all those holes from my path and will instead try to place them at each corner of the PCB.

The worse result will be that I will have to make new mounting holes in the heat-sink.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
I have this question related to the ground path of my IPS.

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-05 07-50-29.png

From preceding commentary's, I understood that the Input ground traces from the junction of R4 and R5 to the Input connector and parts J1 pin 2, R1 and C1, must be as close and as short as possible, with nothing else connected to them. Others commentary's said that the decoupling capacitors C102 and C202 ground return should never connect to the IPS ground, but instead to the HQG, so to make sure that no residual noise can be injected into the IPS ground. But what about the IPS ground traces from collectors of Q103 and Q203 (highlighted) ?

Do they have to be connected to the HQG with their own traces or they are part of the IPS section and can be connected to the IPS ground of connector J1? What about connecting them to the C102 and C202 ground traces?

This is bugging me!

Thanks kapitiaudio. That was my though also. But my doubt about this solution is that nothing should be connected to the Input, to minimize the injected noise at the input. The third solution would be to connect them to the VAS ground audio part.

But I am now facing another reality. I really ask myself if the layout of the complexity of the Figure 14.17 topology is feasible into a PCB limited by a 3U heat-sink height!

Since my last post, I am at my fourth PCB layout iteration, without success! The "bridge to cross" is always the final connections that must travel the length of this physical board. My latest iteration, still with traces not completed, could be finalized and maybe contour this issue if I moved the protection diodes of the OPS in the center of the board. This actual configuration is the only one that meets all electrical requirements:
  • Shorter FB traces
  • Shorter RAIL traces with their ground traces under them. Although they are still in a folding design, they are much much short than all my previous ones.
  • Shorter Input ground traces
But, once I looked at the layout of it, I realized that the Output MOSFETs are now far away one to each other. And I then remembered having read once that they should be as close as possible! And this design force the FB traces from the output MOSFETs to be now the longest traces!

Honestly, does someone has achieved a complex topology as this one into a 3U heat-sink? I mean with the final board screwed on the heat-sink?

For your eyes only, here some captures of the fourth latest iterations, with their problem commented...

Original design built-ed into the AMP. Ground loop problem with the folding rail traces:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-07 06-56-50.png

Iteration 1. FB ground loop trace to long:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-07 06-53-44.png

Iteration 2. FB ground loop minimised, but still to long:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-07 06-54-27.png

Iteration 3. Abandonned beause the final traces couldn't be completed:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-07 06-55-57.png

Iteration four. In this layout, I though "Why can I simply put the MOSFET at the end of the PCB instead of trying to keep them fixed on the pre-fabricated 3U holes at the top". And once near the end of the final layout, it came back to my mind that the MOSFETs should be as close as possible one to each other! Although, this layout has the shorter FB traces possible, with it's FB resistors between the Input and Output connectors! And I admit I like the simetrical IPS and VAS layout, with the screw space optimised by the little TO-220 heat-sinks position!

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-07 07-01-37.png

I have finished the fifth iteration and this time I really think I achieved the best PCB design possible.

• Output transistors are placed close together and distributed along the heat-sink to optimize heat dissipation.
  • Feedback loop paths are kept as short as possible.
  • Input and output connectors are close and centered, so that inversion of the printed circuit boards in the case will not influence the path of their respective wires. Only the power supply rails will be opposite. The input connectors will be located towards the top of the box to allow the wires to run along the cover to the RCA connectors on the rear panel. The Output, Power and HQG ground connectors will be near the perforated panel at the bottom of the case.
  • I've optimized the space required by the heat sinks for the VAS Q303 and Q403 transistors by positioning them close to the PCB mounting screws.
  • All power supply rails are close to the ground rails to minimize noise injection.
  • The ground rails are all independent and join the star-shaped HQG ground.
  • The DC Servo circuit is close to the feedback loop, and its input/output traces are kept to a minimum.
  • Much to my surprise, I had no trouble getting past the various traces, and plenty of free space remained available.
In conclusion, this configuration is the most appropriate. The only negative point I can find when looking at the circuit is the possible mechanical weakness near the input connector. The action of tightening its screws could bend the circuit, given that no fixing screws are present in this region of the circuit. But the force applied to this connector remains light, as the wires connecting it are of small gauge. And there's always the possibility of holding the circuit when tightening the screws.

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-37-09.png

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-37-45.png

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-39-05.png

Ground traces. Some of the Red traces are invisible under the Blue traces along the top of the PCB. See the individual sides captures below:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-49-30.png

FB loop traces:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-50-58.png

Components side:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-51-40.png

Solder side:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-52-03.png

Mechanical on the Heat-Sink. The board is now shorter than the previous design and the leftmost and rightmost holes aren't used anymore:

Capture d’écran du 2024-05-09 16-57-58.png

Reactions: 1 user
I think this approach is much better!! Beautiful board.
Thanks!
But I just had this new idea. Wouldn't be much better if I move the four Power transistors of the OPS one hole to the left and one hole to the right. And move the two mounting screws in the center, close to the HQG connector? I just realized that there are no traces in the path. That would distribute the heat much better, but I wonder if the traces that join the two MOSFETs would suffer from this extra length created...