Paper horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thread split from Introductions

Right now, I'm transfixed by front loaded horn design. This guy has such nice ideas, both in materials and construction method:

The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound - The Paper Horn
DIY Paper Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound

I'm intrigued by methods of fabrication: Back in Victorian times, the big thing was clever use of linkages to mechanically solve industrial problems. Linkages can be used to scribe out pure geometries. For example, a set of pivoting lever-arms which would perfectly scribe out a particular shape, like an ellipse, etc. I would like to figure out a method of scribing a tractrix shape via a set of linkages. Given that a tractrix curve is mathematically derived, one just has to figure a practical/mechanical method of describing the curve, then dial it in. This would essentially act as a jig for fabrication.

Right now it's all cerebral without much to show for it... and time looking through wikipedia for inspiration.
Any thoughts? :D

Oh and thanks Pano for the heads up on the estate sale and Triode group... I'll shoot you a PM -K

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, I cut "petals" like the old Victrola horns. Taped those together and started piling on the layers. They started out rather pretty, but quickly got messy.

But I think doing a quick practice run or two, that one could achieve very nice results this way. A 4 sided horn would be even easier.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have heard John's horns... they are quite phenomenal. Downright realistic. Never heard voices that sounded more real... almost palpable. They easily play to 400 Hz.

John's a fantastic guy too. I'll be building some horns with him soon. Should be fun.

A tractrix is the shape defined by a hanging rope, chain. Fix one end, and have the other end moveable, and be able to vary the length. TO my mind, easier to well define in a SS thou.

dave

I'm not very mathematically minded, but it seems a catenary curve would only approximate a tractrix curve under the very specific condition of the ends approaching their asymptote... a hung string would almost never assume a tractrix curve.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "SS" ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm not very mathematically minded, but it seems a catenary curve would only approximate a tractrix curve under the very specific condition of the ends approaching their asymptote... a hung string would almost never assume a tractrix curve.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "SS" ?

SS is spreadsheet.

attachment is an extract from Dinsdale.

Tractrix is the involute of the catenary

dave

Attachments

• Tractrix-dinsdale.gif
    Tractrix-dinsdale.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 427
Just so none of the readers get confused by this discussion ot tractrix...

Tractrix is NOT the shape or the contour of the horn or its sides or its profile.

The term tractrix (or exponential etc) refer to the rate of the expansion of the horn's cross-sectional area. It is very difficult to visually inspect a horn and guess its rate of expansion.

are you sure?

A tractrix is the shape defined by a hanging rope, chain. Fix one end, and have the other end moveable, and be able to vary the length. TO my mind, easier to well define in a SS thou.

dave

I thought a chain or a rope suspended made a Catenary? Best regards Moray James.

PS: figured I should check. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

PPS: here is a picture of my fancy paper Karlson K-Tube two inch id six inches long on an EV DH1A stupid simple amazingly fine sound.

Attachments

• Karlson Tube on EV DH1A.jpg
    Karlson Tube on EV DH1A.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.