Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main news would seem to be that Jack Bybee has discovered how to market fancifully wrapped resistors at a markup of 7418% over the garden-variety version of the same resistor!:eek:

That's not news, the claims made so far have no more validity than Bybees. I'm not beating SY up for taking a long time to get the results documented (we all get busy sometimes), I'm simply stating that we're still in the middle of the scientific process, which was the purpose of this thread; to scientifically analyze the devices and provide measurements.

The first phase is complete; the lab work. Now we need to move onto the analysis of the data and then peer review.

Anyone who does otherwise is guilty of the same type of 'gullible' behavior that SY belittles in the very first post of this thread.

Cheers,
Dave.

That's a fair point- I've been rather demotivated because of how... mundane the results were. Here's a few more dribs to chew on. It's been said that the Bybee will reduce noise in a circuit by some sort of "slipstreaming" and "stripping of quantum noise." Putting aside the clear violations of basic thermodynamics, let's see if it actually does.

First, as a baseline, I compare the noise floor of the measurement system with the input shorted to the same system with a 100k resistor across the input. This is in a relatively electrically noisy environment, but still those alarming spikes and other noises are still pretty low.

Attachments

• 100k vs short.jpg
    100k vs short.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 898
OK, fine, is the Bybee having an effect? Here's a comparison of the Bybee in series with 100k versus the 50 cent resistor in series with 100k. I show both linear and log plots. If you can see any sort of consistent noise improvement, you're better than I. And, again, if you want to worry about stuff below -150dB and at broadcast frequencies, have at it- it's irrelevant to what's going on in the region where our ears work.

More later.

Attachments

• Bybee vs R in series with 100k.jpg
    Bybee vs R in series with 100k.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 870
  • Bybee vs R in series with 100k linear.jpg
    Bybee vs R in series with 100k linear.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 810
Hey SY,

Thanks for these, I know that we all have been anticipating the results.

Just to make sure that we're all on the same page, could you please give us the legend for each graph?

I'm assuming that the title of the graph (top-left) represents the order comparisons and black always means the first plot while the purply-pinkly(ish) colour means the second plot.

Also, for the sake of transparency, would you be willing to disclose your relationship to Bybee, his distributors and/or any other market competitiors. If you have affiliations (for or against) then it's good to know. If you don't have any then that's even more convincing.

Ultimately, this thread is going to come up on google for anyone that searches for Bybee (it ranks #4 already for "bybee quantum purifier"). If the general consensus is that these devices = Snake Oil, then it's important that perspective buyers get as much info as they can about the devices.

Similarly, could you please re-summarize your testing platform (measuring equipment, etc, so that it's close to the posted results); maybe a Mod can link, from the first post, to your current one so that googlers don't have to read 1000+ posts to get the Cole's Notes version of this thread?

PS - Please note that I wasn't whingeing about you not getting the results in; you've done the lion's share of the work so if it takes you a few more months to document them then so be it. Nor was I questioning your integrity.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY's lab

Just for those of you how want a bit more detail on SY's testing procedure, here is a photo that appeared in a local Austin publication while I was visiting.

It gives a nice view of SY at work. I think the Bybee is there somewhere.

Attachments

• SYs_lab-2.jpg
    SYs_lab-2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 737
First, as a baseline, I compare the noise floor of the measurement system with the input shorted to the same system with a 100k resistor across the input. This is in a relatively electrically noisy environment, but still those alarming spikes and other noises are still pretty low.

Sy

My M-Audio box has an input impedance of 20K, what is it for your setup?

ES

For this measurement, 20k (which is why the noise floor is what it is). For some measurements-to-come, I use a home-made interface box with a 1M input impedance.

That is what I thought. I assume in addition to shorted noise level you also did an open circuit reference. Could you post that?

Also useful is the equivalent measurement bandwidth.

I slowly get more familiar with the quirks of my various tools and so know when to ignore something (In the old days the noise spike from the horizontal scan frequency) and when something stands out. It is harder for me to read others results with just a few samples, so thanks for putting up with my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.